Study Reveals the Angriest Americans

Francis

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 11:35 am
It seems to me that the Americans are a lot more angry than some other nationalities.

This study seems to prove it. What do you think?

Quote:
Time pressures had the strongest link to anger, especially low-grade versions termed "feelings of annoyance," the study found.

Those who were under financial strain tended to report higher levels of anger, a connection that could be particularly important in today's flagging economy, Schieman noted. The financial influence tended to be stronger among women and younger adults.

Having children was also associated with angry feelings and behaviors, such as yelling, particularly in women, the survey found.

"There's obviously a lot of joys and benefits that come with parenthood," but other aspects of parenting, such as having to discipline a misbehaving child, can cause feelings of anger and annoyance, Schieman said.

Those with fewer years of education were also more likely to report feelings of anger and were less likely to respond proactively in a situation that made them angry (for example, talking about what made them angry).

"It underscores the power of getting more education," Schieman said. Education has been linked to feeling more self-control, which could be why those with more education tend to manage their anger more proactively, he told LiveScience.

Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 22 • Views: 6,897 • Replies: 72

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 11:53 am
@Francis,
It's what I've always suspected. Americans also often lack a sense of humor. They get angry at the man who flips them the finger instead of breaking out laughing at his clowhish behavior. I have no theory, however, for why this should be so.
georgeob1

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 12:55 pm
@Francis,
Nonsensical conclusion from a study that involved zero comparative analysis with respect to other countries.

I have the general impression that Europeans are generally anxiety-ridden and beset by fears of global warming, the seas rising, the cultural influences of the nearby rising Islamic tide, the growing age gap between themselves and everyone else, and the many imperfections of their fellow humans on other continents. Even the French riot a lot and burn automobiles in large numbers when they do - mostly over cutbacks in the largesse the nanny state provides.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 01:02 pm
@Merry Andrew,
I think Americans are more aggressive than most cultures, and in some ways more angry/stressed. But a sense of humor is one thing you can't knock Americans for.

In most of the world there's no such thing as standup comedy. And like a lot of the world says, "a nation that gave us The Simpsons" can't be all bad.
Francis

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 01:05 pm
@georgeob1,
Right, George, the conclusion was mine, as it's my personal experience.

But, when you see how people get angry over some small stuff on this forum, one wonders..

I was thinking it's probably something in the processed food..

But I'll welcome comments...
dyslexia

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 01:08 pm
@Robert Gentel,
"a nation that gave us The Simpsons" can't be all bad. Stewie says you're full of ****.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 01:24 pm
Even angry Americans can laugh.
Foofie

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 01:28 pm
In a general sociological way, yes, Americans may be easier to anger than some other nationalities. I believe it might relate to the national character that many Americans subscribe to. Similarly, the stereotypical European national character, in my opinion, might be focussed on one's suaveness, bon vivantness, debonaireness (with cigarette in one's mouth) so as not to allow oneself to exhibit knee-jerk anger. Using an animal analogy, I think of Europeans as cats, and Americans as dogs; a more noble, self-sacrificing creature if there ever was one.

Ohhh. A European is passing now. Let me get a bowl of milk for the dear pussy.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 01:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Even angry Americans can laugh.

yeah, but it's that weird maniacal laughter, just before they shoot up the mall
djjd62

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 01:30 pm
@djjd62,
hopefully foofie's at the mall
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 01:31 pm
@Francis,
Americans are too diverse. I'm usually weary of any conclusion on all of us. We don't have many true trends IMO. Americans have lots of geographically specific cultures and traditions. I believe this would include temper as well.

Qualifying what is "more angry" seems too abstract for me. How is something like this measured?

T
K
O
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 01:34 pm
@Francis,
Francis wrote:
It seems to me that the Americans are a lot more angry than some other nationalities.

Screw you, Frenchie!
dyslexia

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 01:39 pm
@Ticomaya,
Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 01:51 pm
@Ticomaya,
No way you get me angry with such bland comments...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 01:54 pm
I'm soooo mad I could just spit.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 02:05 pm
foofie wrote:
a more noble, self-sacrificing creature if there ever was one.
Pleading pro domo, little dog?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 02:12 pm
@Francis,
Francis, You are lucky you haven't had to live as an American visiting Paris.

The French go on strike on a dime, and stop everything from working. If that isn't anger, I don't know what that would be called.
Francis

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 02:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Laziness?
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 02:17 pm
@Francis,
How about the consumers? Are they angry or just lazy too!~
Francis

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 02:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
No, they are on their usual laissez-faire...
0 Replies