Craigslist Scammer!

Chumly

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 08:29 am
I am selling a guitar amp on Craigslist in Canada and (supposedly) a buyer has transferred the full asked amount of $600 plus $500 for shipping for a total of $1100 US (not Canadian) funds into my PayPal account via my email.

I cannot access the $600 (presumably) until I send "$500.00 USD to the shipping company through a Western Union Outlet, and notify our customer care service with a scanned copy of the western union receipt"

Humorously I did not agree to this transaction and no doubt the emails I (supposedly) received from [email protected] confirming this are bullshit.

Lame!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,096 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Gala

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 08:47 am
@Chumly,
Craigslist is always a crapshoot. I've pretty much stopped using it because there are so many scammers. What about ebay, it seems so much more reliable.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 09:36 am
Selling things like guitar amps on eBay is prohibitive because they are too big and weigh too much for most anyone outside of my area to find it worth it. Over 2.5 million people (yipes) live close enough to me so local Craigslist's ads work fine.

The buyer that scammed this one did not think it through very well because who the hell would pay $500 US shipping for something selling for $600 Cdn.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 09:56 am
I've never once had a problem with Craigslist and scammers - but then again, I always meet them in person and take payment in cash.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 10:22 am
I've never had a problem with anyone on Craigslist and I've bought gobs of stuff off the site.

From the site:

Quote:
You can sidestep would-be scammers by following these common-sense rules:

DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one simple rule and you will avoid 99% of the scam attempts on craigslist.

NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or any other wire service - anyone who asks you to do so is a scammer.

FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON, and BANKS WILL CASH THEM AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later.

CRAIGSLIST IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY TRANSACTION, and does not handle payments, guarantee transactions, provide escrow services, or offer "buyer protection" or "seller certification"

NEVER GIVE OUT FINANCIAL INFORMATION (bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.)

AVOID DEALS INVOLVING SHIPPING OR ESCROW SERVICES and know that ONLY A SCAMMER WILL "GUARANTEE" YOUR TRANSACTION.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 11:20 am
I've actually bought a number of music gear items from out of the country via Craigslist. In other words I never met them, nor would I have been able to meet them, nor did I see the goods in the flesh prior.

But this guy must be the ultimate dork...$500 US shipping for something selling for $600 Cdn at least he could have tried to make the numbers plausible for increased amusement value.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 02:54 pm
There are so many scammers on Craigslist. You can spot them , but they are still there. Regardless of whether you've only had perfect experiences, it's uncomfortable to come up against a scammer, I believe this is the point of the post.

0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 03:02 pm
I've recently seen many scam-ads for employment on Craigslist. If you respond to their ad (which always offers more hourly pay than the job warrants), they send repeated emails requesting you fill out some "credit report" so they can "schedule your interview."

This seems really low to me. (And no, I haven't submitted any credit reports.)
Gala

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 03:39 pm
@BorisKitten,
Exactly. One of my favorites was a company offering you $800 a month to have advertising put on your car. I was curious so I made an inquiry. They charge you a fee to sign up. Who pays a job to have a job? What a scam.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 12:08 am
It feels like some sort of betrayal because I rely on buying and selling music gear to stay up-to-date technology-wise without having to pay inflated Canadian prices.

New US prices are often cheaper than used Canadian prices; I know it sounds backwards but it's true!

The Craigslist scammer is particularly low level form of slime-ball.
Gala

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 08:13 am
@Chumly,
Right, you invest your time in this and then some nitwit comes along and totally underestimates your intelligence. Although, you may want to draw from the posters who've had "perfect" experiences on Craiglist. Obviously, we've done something wrong...
0 Replies