Pandora Radio or Last.fm?

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 11:43 pm
Checking up on one of my favorite web comics, I found this cartoon...
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/pandora.png

And like the typical short-attentioned modern day internet browser, it inspired me to see if Pandora was still around.

So which is better, Pandora Radio or Last.fm? Which has the better free service/selection of music? Is it all moot? Surprised, I kind of thought that I would have found that Pandora didn't go out of business.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,182 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Seed

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 11:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
I havent used Last.fm in a long time. As where it only tracked what you played via your own collection, so I may not be the best to give my opinion. But I use Pandora quite a bit. It makes me a bit mad at times. You create stations based off of the name of an artist or the title of a song. So you expect to hear that artist (or that song) but most of the time when you create a channel based off a song title you will not get that song until 5 to 10 songs into the set. Though you can't knock it. It is free and they are now doing a compilation based off of all your channels so you don't have to switch. It's always changing so until I give Last.fm a try again this is all I got.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 11:52 pm
@Seed,
Are both ... ads supported? Is there a catch?
Seed

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 11:54 pm
@tsarstepan,
as I said I have no used Last.fm in a long time. there format when I used it was solely based on tracking the amount of times you played songs from your OWN library.

As for Pandora. They are ad based. As in they play an ad say every 5th or 10th song. If you are not a paying subscriber you can only skip songs so many times. You can not go backwards in the play list nor can you start a song over. You can only pause, and skip. As far as what you get with a paid service, I do not know. The free service is good enough for me when im bored or I can not access my own library.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 12:24 am
@Seed,
Thank you for the helpful info. Smile
Seed

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 12:31 am
@tsarstepan,
any time. Smile
dlowan

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 01:02 am
@Seed,
SEED!!!!!!!!!

How in hell are you?
roger

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 01:07 am
@dlowan,
He has been promoted to PFC.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 01:12 am
@roger,
I'm assuming ... Private first class?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 06:04 am
@tsarstepan,
I've found a lot of good stuff through Pandora. I like it. Never heard of last.fm.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 06:25 am
Pandora all the way.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 06:40 am
i've got a last.fm account, but i hardly use it, i'm usually on the ipod when i'm on line listening to the roughly 10 hours of radio and podcasts i download daily
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 12:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
I just use last fm passively. That is, I don't listen to music on lastfm, I just have it log the music I listen to and provide me music recommendations. I used to listen to the recommendations but that apparently was a "free trial" and I need to subscribe to keep listening.

As for pandora they don't work outside the US and I'm not interested enough to work around that.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 01:00 pm
@djjd62,
You're probably right on the money. I too have so much listening to (online radio and podcasts) on my proverbial plate... I'm wondering if I will ever find any time to listen to other things.

But so far, Pandora seems to get the love here in this thread. I guess it can't hurt for a back up alternative.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2011 12:18 pm
I've just started listening to pandora. Love it, love it, love it!

I tend to like some of the more obscure, local Miss delta blues artists that have few good Youtubes and fewer songs. Everybody and his brother will post their crappy cell phone captured songs, but it tends to be the same song and the quality is very poor.

I've been streaming delta blues for two days straight and loving every minute of it.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 08:05 pm
Tonight, I decided to dive into Last.fm.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 7 Feb, 2011 08:08 pm
@JPB,
JPB... sorry that I didn't respond to you. a2k's pathetic thread email update service doesn't work anymore. Never knew you answered the thread a month ago. Completely forgot about this thread until I opened a Last.fm account tonight.
0 Replies