You Know That Time Is Slipping Away When...................

nimh

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 02:51 pm
oldandknew wrote:
When I showed my daughter how to do long division & multiplication, she said can't you use a calculator dad. I told her we didn't have them when I was in school. So we learnt to use our brains instead

They've stopped teaching long divisions in school! Just this year, here, they stopped teaching how it works, altogether.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 03:26 pm
so if you get stuck without a calculator, how are people going to work out how much anything comes to in total. like 150 guests at a wedding & the cost of the food & drink
Mind you, I have problems converting feet & inches into metres & milimeters
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 03:30 pm
My buddy just got a job coaching freshman girl's basketball(high school). He wore a Pearl Jam t-shirt to practice earlier this week, and a bunch of them didn't know who it was.
I don't know if I should chalk that up to them being that much younger, or just stupidity...Pearl Jam?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 03:54 pm
i got thrown realising that "wham!" was about as long ago to school kids now as the beatles were to me ...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 04:42 pm
nimh wrote:
oldandknew wrote:
They've stopped teaching long divisions in school! Just this year, here, they stopped teaching how it works, altogether.

Now THAT'S really scary.
I remember apprencticing many years ago with a fashion illustrator who grew so dependent on an art-o-graph machine (a projector) that when the machine broke down, she was no longer capable of illustrating on her own. She missed her deadline and damn near lost the account. Seeing that taught me to never rely on machines to do what I can simply do on my own. To this day, I rarely use a calculator, preferring pencil and paper, just to keep the old brain familiar with working numbers.
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 05:42 pm
When my granddaughter asked me how old I was and I couldn't remember
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 06:31 pm
My 50th high school reunion did it for me --- BBB
My 50th high school reunion did it for me --- BBB

ALBANY HIGH SCHOOL REUNION
By BumbleBeeBoogie

A telephone call came from out of the blue---
we're getting together and we need you
to help us organize a reunion of peers
after an amazing span of fifty years.

As I drove to the restaurant in a suburban town
childhood memories, long forgotten, were found.
At our '57 ten-year reunion I'd seen classmates last
and eventually lost track of them and my past.

As I entered the meeting room, I gasped with surprise
at white-haired people with bifocal-covered eyes
and stiff joints and waists no longer thin,
bald pates where thick brown hair had been.

I looked into their faces for signs of their youth
as I struggled with the unwelcome astonishing truth.
What were all these old, OLD people doin'
at my high school class' fiftieth reunion?
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 06:52 pm
eoe -------- your account about over reliance on hi-tech applies nearly everywhere. A lot of the old manual skills are fast vanishing. and that's a shame. I'm no Luddite & I do like the idea of hi-tech applications but they are not the be all of life.
And they are only as good as the person who uses them. Hi- tech often means tighter deadlines & very often lower budgets.
People want instantaneous pruducts/output. A case of just add water. As if it were instant soup.
The ministrone is off today, would you like spring chicken instead
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 06:33 pm
When you wonder what happened to the days when bigger was better.
0 Replies

TwistedFerret

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 03:36 pm
Bigger IS better. Especially with a few key body parts...
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 04:40 pm
When bigger was better with the exception of anatomy and homes...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 05:49 pm
The age I am always seems to be younger now than then, if you know what I mean. There was a time when to be over thirty was dismissed in some circles. I even remember feeling sorry for a nurse in our office who wasn't married at twenty-six, the poor thing. Did I have a lot to learn....
I looked on people of 50 as almost another species. They seemed very stultified to me, and perhaps they were to some degree. Now eighty is looking younger than I thought it was...

The surprise to me is how short time has actually been, a too quick whirl, even though it appeared almost endlessly long to my adolescent self.

And, if I had really understood that, I would have either taken many more risks, or many less. Given who I am, that would have been more.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 03:49:54