can young and gifted child be refused to enrol to kindy because of shyness

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 10:00 pm
My daughter's birthday is in Aug 2005. The preschool teacher suggested to enrol her to school in 2010. We then had her assessed by a registered Physhologist. The result shows she is a gifted child and the phychologist support her to school as well.
I tried to meet the school councellor before we went on school oritation, but the counsellor was too busy to see us. On the day of oritation, she found my daughter did not play with the group and she will refuse her to school...Actually, my daugher is a bit shy in a very new environment, but once she feels comfortable with it, there is no problem for her to interact with the class at all. everyone is different, both my husband and I are type of shy person...even we wait for another year, she will be the same in the beginning
I don't think it a reasonable excuse to refuse her to enrol into kindy, please advise..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 1,272 • Replies: 11
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 10:05 pm
@angieangieangie,
Being academically prepared for school is not the same as being socially prepared for school.

Have any of the assessors recommended anything for you to do to help your daughter be more prepared to enter school? What does your daughter do away from home, and outside of pre-school? Does she have friends she plays with regularly who are not in her pre-school?
0 Replies

oolongteasup

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 10:52 pm
@angieangieangie,
even if she can spell psychologist and orientation

there is a minimum age at which gifted and talented children may attend school

have you considered home tutoring
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 06:41 am
Why the rush? why would you put your child into a situation that terrifies her? Your job as a parent is to protect her.

Find a pre-school or part time kindergarten program.

She's just not ready. (This is from a grandma - 5 times over - and each is different and each was ready at his/her own time for nursery school and regular school. Each has their own personality)
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 07:37 am
@angieangieangie,
You are the best judge of how your child will interact in school. If she has the emotional maturity and she is five when school starts, she should do fine. But you have to go into this with open eyes. Is it a "little shy" or socially immature? There are folks out there who always want children to be older, so you will hear plenty of people suggesting you wait. Sometimes they are right, sometimes wrong. Is this a public education system? If your child meets the cutoff date, I don't understand the debate. If your child does not meet the cutoff date and you are looking for an exemption, you might have to go the private route for kindergarten and then join the first grade group next year.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 07:40 am
@angieangieangie,
ehBeth has some good questions. Another question I have is, is this a private school kindergarten or public school?
0 Replies

chmelnyk

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 05:36 pm
i honestly dont think they should be able to do that.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 05:40 pm
Sample "readiness" question
What would you do if you were cold/

One granddaughter said "Put on a sweater'
One shrugged her shoulders and stared out the window
One asked "Why are you asking me such a stupid question?"
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 05:41 pm
Sorry - that's kindergarten readiness question
0 Replies

mm25075

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 09:01 pm
Does she give clues socially that indicate she may have trouble with seperation from her normal care givers?
0 Replies

BarbieQPickle

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 04:57 pm
My brother got held back from moving on to first grade because of his shyness. So they obviously can do this and do, the school wouldn't choose to hold them back if they really didn't think it was necessary.
Ceili

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 05:10 pm
@BarbieQPickle,
Isn't the purpose of pre-school to get kids ready for school? This seems silly to me, if a parent chooses to send a child to school I would think that's all the info they need. You might want to look at another school, this one doesn't appear to be willing to work with the child.
0 Replies