Party on a train. Appropriate or not?

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 01:31 pm
Hello from Japan Smile

Halloween is approaching. Please watch this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWORKaOBrwI

This is called Yamanote Line halloween party. Yamanote Line is operated by JR (Japan Railway) East. It runs as a circle and connects most of Tokyo's major stations and urban centres.

These people are having a (unauthorised) party on this commuter train.
Not only Japanese people but also non-Japanese people staying/living in Japan believe this is disgusting.

Party goers lack common sense and are careless about other passengers.
When we request them to stop doing such a thing, they just ignore us or say things like this:

"This is only once a year. Besides, there are worse misbehavers than us. What's the big deal?"
"There are Japanese party goers as well. Don't blame only foreigners."

They refuse to admit that it's not the matter of frequency or comparison or culture or race. It's purely the matter of appropriateness about having a party on a public transport. Besides, if there are worse misbehavers than them, can this party be justified?

I think people on this board aren't particularly familiar with Japan, so there will be unbiased opinions from randomly selected individuals, which is a good thing Smile

What do you people think about this party?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,005 • Replies: 12

roger

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 01:34 pm
@StraightNoChaser,
I would say it depends on who is driving the train.

Well, really, I think they have no right to intrude on the other passengers.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 01:39 pm
@StraightNoChaser,
I hate going to clubs and I'm a social butterfly ... no ... I have the wrong insect ... I am definitely not a social butterfly ... consider me a very shy spider finding a deep dark corner to crawl into when it comes to parties and strangers and yet. Parties and such make me a nervous wreck.

But this idea seems quite neat. I love riding in trains and the anonymity of being in a costume just might be fun.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 01:41 pm
@tsarstepan,
Now that I've seen the video... that seems too loud and too crowded. If it took place on a lesser crowded commuter train or not during peak rush hours then it would be appropriate. However, at the peak of rush hour like it seemed on the video? SO NOT APPROPRIATE! Mad
StraightNoChaser

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 11:26 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yeah...
And unfortunately, damages are caused by those people every year: train is delayed, fluorescent lamps are taken off, some passengers were deprived of their belongings, so on and on and on...
This unauthorised party will be held on the 31st this month. They say it's OK because it's Saturday.
There are many passengers who work on shift. There are many passengers who want to go to a certain place on time. etc etc...
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 11:33 pm
@StraightNoChaser,
It sounds like an inevitable monstrosity of an event. Twisted Evil Pun intended. Wink

Are there any reliable and inexpensive alternatives to the train?

And please forgive me ... Embarrassed Welcome to a2k. Hope to read you around.
roger

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 12:02 am
@StraightNoChaser,
StraightNoChaser wrote:

some passengers were deprived of their belongings, so on and on and on...

How's that for a nice way of saying they were robbed?
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 12:04 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

StraightNoChaser wrote:

some passengers were deprived of their belongings, so on and on and on...

George Orwell would have been proud! Wink
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 08:32 am
@StraightNoChaser,
StraightNoChaser wrote:
What do you people think about this party?

I take the train to and from work every day. If this happened on my train I would have a very difficult time repressing the urge to kill.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 01:09 pm
@StraightNoChaser,
That looks like torture.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 01:48 pm
@StraightNoChaser,
The video was kind of boring... I only watched a couple of minutes worth.

The comments posted with the video were interesting. The words "foreigner" and "terrorist" where used repeatedly. Obviously the person who posted this wasn't too fond of the partying... but his use of these words makes me think that he might have been exaggerating a bit.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2009 03:25 pm
@StraightNoChaser,
Looks like fun.

If I were on this train it wouldn't bother me.

And that train doesn't look any busier than many trains in big cities, at any hour between 6:00a and 12:00a.

It would be no more annoying than the tourists and groups of 30 people who completly block the sidewalk; sometimes you should just shrug some stuff off.
0 Replies

StraightNoChaser

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 12:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
Hi tsarstepan, thanks for your warm welcome Very Happy
Actually I signed up years ago but I haven't been an active member Sad

tsarstepan wrote:
Are there any reliable and inexpensive alternatives to the train?

Tokyo Metro System is quite convenient and fairly inexpensive, but it doesn't cover everywhere. Taxis are extremely expensive in Japan so you shouldn't think about taking it unless necessary.

roger wrote:

I hear robbery didn't happen this year. Good to know that Smile

joefromchicago wrote:
I take the train to and from work every day. If this happened on my train I would have a very difficult time repressing the urge to kill.

Yeah I feel for you. I ran into the party goers a couple of years ago. They were like drunk monkeys...

Gala wrote:
That looks like torture.

Yeah...

ebrown p wrote:
The comments posted with the video were interesting. The words "foreigner" and "terrorist" where used repeatedly. Obviously the person who posted this wasn't too fond of the partying... but his use of these words makes me think that he might have been exaggerating a bit.

I totally agree. Yeah they are exaggerating a lot. Also there were some xenophobic comments as well.
I wonder why they just don't say:

"Please think about other passengers. There is no reason that the participants' choice to use the properties of JR East to hold an unauthorised event should be prioritised over the vast majority's right to use said properties in a manner designated by JR East and its share holders."

maporsche wrote:
Looks like fun.

If I were on this train it wouldn't bother me.

Thank very much for your opinion Very Happy
At least the participants are having a good time on the video.
But it's unfortunate for them that the party didn't go well this year due to protesters and police action.
But there are many other places for partying anyway Smile
0 Replies