The Wimpy Kid "Dog Days" Book

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 12:51 pm
Mo loves these books. Since he likes to reread them when the new one came out we bought a copy.

In the book the family gets a dog. Greg (aka the wimpy kid) doesn't like the dog too much; he doesn't even want to be at home because of the dog. The family ends up giving the to the Grandma.

Mo and I were floored.

I've always taught Mo that when you accept responsibility for an animal that it is your duty to care for the animal. That the family just gave the dog away really upset Mo. The dog really didn't even do anything wrong.

Has anyone else read this book or let their kid read this book?

What did you/they think about the dog?

I don't expect books to always have a moral or a lesson but I'll think twice before I buy any more Wimpy Kid books.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,366 • Replies: 4
No top replies

eoe

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 04:16 pm
Interesting. I heard about this series of books just today.

I think that's lousy behavior to promote. But perhaps it's closer to reality than we'd care to acknowledge? Especially in a society that's undisciplined, callous and irresponsible. That's who we're becoming, good or bad, right or wrong.

If the kid doesn't like the dog and no one else in the family takes to it, isn't it better to give the dog away to someone who would appreciate it more?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 04:37 pm
@boomerang,
I haven't read that one. Sozlet likes the Wimpy Kid books, I haven't seen that one though... I'll ask if she has.

I think that's kind of the Wimpy Kid claim to fame -- don't do the after school special uplift/ moral, be real and sometimes unsavory.

I get why it'd upset Mo, though. I was really upset when I heard a similar story from someone I know well. (They adopted the dog, it didn't work out, they "returned" it. Ack.) At least the dog stayed in the family.
sozobe

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 04:40 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
Mr. Kinney [the author of the Wimpy Kid books] says most of his feedback comes from grateful parents who say the books have turned their children into readers. But a few parents do complain that Greg sets a bad example.

“I have complete respect for that position, and I’ve been shocked there hasn’t been much more of it,” he said. “If there is a lesson in the book, it’s to do the opposite of what Greg does. Even my kindergarten child understands that Greg is being naughty, and that he shouldn’t act like him.”

good article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/13/health/13well.html
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2009 05:26 pm
Yeah, eoe, it probably is closer to the truth that I'd like to admit.

I had a cat once that I really just didn't like. She was just nasty and ill tempered. She lived to be about 16 and when she got sick she received the best medical care imaginable. She died when I decided that putting radioactive goo in her ears and locking her in a solid metal cage wasn't really what was best for her.

I have let Mo bring in found geckos, slugs and snakes and when he didn't take care of them I made him let them go.

I drew the line last week when he brought in a gigantic spider. He took it to school and the teacher decided they could keep it as a class pet.

I like the Wimpy Kid books. Greg thinks like a kid. He's very self centered and doesn't project into the future. HIs best friend is always mad at him. He gets in trouble a lot. I don't worry about him setting a good example.

But in this book it was his dad who went out and got the dog for the family and it was his dad who gave it away. In most real life cases there is not some willing relative ready to take a pet off someone's hands.

I'm glad Mo was disturbed by the story.

I'd love to hear what Sozelet had to say about it. Mo has been known to over-react to things.
0 Replies