Halloween Book Burnings In North Carolina

ebrown p

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 06:30 pm
@Merry Andrew,
That gives me an idea-- after seeing the variety of "apps" available on my iPhone, and assuming that the same kind of thing can be developed for the Kindle-- I bet we could develop a "Burn this book" App which would emphatically erase the book from the device with a bright flash, some animated flames and perhaps accompanied by that satisfying crackling sound of a roaring fire. You could link with friends who would all share the same animated fire... the more books burned, the bigger the fire so you could get that feeling of community.

I might be on to something here...

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 06:30 pm
@farmerman,
I see it that way, too.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 06:35 pm
@ebrown p,
Yep , it could maybe be called the Christian Bookburning douche bag app.
LionTamerX

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 06:51 pm
@farmerman,
Or the last vestige of the purposefully disenfranchised.

Either way, it's pathetic.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 07:50 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
A Baptist Church near Asheville, N.C., is hosting a "Halloween book burning" to purge the area of "Satan's" works, which include all non-King James versions of the Bible...

This is how history is written, not with a pen but with an eraser.

How many times has this been done before, back when books were written by hand and there was only one copy. How much of what we believe is history is merely the selected surviving interpretations that escaped the filter of bronze age fire pits.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 07:54 pm
@ebrown p,
Eliminate the "to" and I think you might be right.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 09:33 pm
I had no idea there were so many bibles, so I searched and found out that the major difference between the bibles, beside the obvious language issue, was caused by an eraser of sorts. The King James version seems to be missing a few books, most notably the Book of WISDOM. hmmmm

None the less, book burning is a stupid, self(group) indulgent affair. The message is clear. No matter how they dress it up or how many fixin's they serve, these 'Christians' are throwing a hateful, violent bash. While they always seem to find obscure ' Spiritual Bases' (sic) for burnings et al. They 'christians' always seem to forget the main message of the new book. LOVE. HOPE. CHARITY. Why is that?

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 11:40 pm
What I found interesting about the article is this group of church goers appears to be even farther right of most of the Christian religious zealots, their mission being a return to a very strict interpretation of the bible. By burning books, music and anything else they view as "satan," they have pushed most of the bible thumpers further to the left of the spectrum.

It will be interesting to watch and see what the evangelicals and televangelists say about this. The writings of their own leadership are being burned. Will they label the book burners as religious nuts and point their fingers at the immorality of their actions or go back to being the "silent majority?"
0 Replies