Golfing can be dangerous!

Reyn

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 03:41 pm
I thought golfing was supposed to be a relaxing sport?

-----------------------------------
US golfer loses lower arm when alligator attacks as he leaned over to retrieve ball on course

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
at 11:16 on October 9, 2009, EDT.

BEAUFORT, S.C. - Officials say an alligator bit off part of a golfer's arm as he leaned over to pick up his ball at a private course.

The man, who is in his 70s, was retrieving his ball from a pond when the 10-foot (3-meter) alligator bit him at Ocean Creek Golf Course in Beaufort County. The gator pulled the golfer into the pond and ripped off his arm in the struggle. His golf partners were able to free him.

Wildlife workers killed the alligator and retrieved the arm in the hopes it might be reattached.

The man has not been identified. He was being treated at the Medical University of South Carolina, but officials there would not release any information about him.

A call to the golf course was not immediately returned.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 685 • Replies: 12
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 03:53 pm
He ought to have had a gun, reyn. He must not pay attention to David's posts.
Reyn

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 03:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
I would presume that the pond that the alligator was in was probably murky?

I bet no one else is going to be sticking their arms into golfing water traps, in the area, for the next while.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 04:20 pm
On every golf course I have been to in alligator country (Florida, SC, parts of Ga and Alabama), there are signs warning golfers NOT to attempt to retrieve balls from ponds, streams, or anyplace gators can hide.
farmerman

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 06:11 pm
@mysteryman,
We were doing some Phosphate mining work in central Florida some years ago and and another guy and I were dragging a pump hose to a small sinkhole pond to provide water for the drill rig. I dug a small depression in the sand in the area next to what was a crystal clear pond. OUT of the margin of the pond at shallowest depth a 5 ft alligator (he hads his head in the water and his body hidden in the pond margin) did a quick turn in the air and was at us in a split second /****** missed by boot by inches (I did a little "moon walk" and drew my one leg back out of his grasp). My partner clobbered the alligator with a hammer and the incident was over. The little fuckers can hide in inches of clear water in those ponds and they blend so well with the grasses that you can step on one and not see it till youre missing an extremity.

Theres too many of the goddamm things and carrying a piece is an option only if you are good at handling it, otherwise , Id expect someone would shoot themselves in the foot, (or like a friend in high school who was practicing quick draws with a .22 pistol and shot himself in the thigh as he was drawing the gun from the holster).

Alligators have taken many a pet in the Sebring sand pond area over the years. Ususally these sinkhole ponds have a small grassy margin where the bulk of the gator sits and his head is near the waters edge . They can get you forward and they can get you in a quick turn .
Reyn

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 06:21 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
[...] OUT of the margin of the pond at shallowest depth a 5 ft alligator (he hads his head in the water and his body hidden in the pond margin) did a quick turn in the air and was at us in a split second [...]

Wow!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked That was a close call for you!! Glad to hear you weren't injured.

And I only used to worry about pitbulls and rottweilers when I was meter reading!
farmerman

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 07:36 am
@Reyn,
They use an organic alligator repellant in Vancouver
farmerman

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 10:05 am
@farmerman,
Apparently, in Louisiana, they incorporate the Alligator into their local Celtic celbrations.    http://www.celts1.com/celtic_web2.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 10:07 am
Golf's an Olympic sport.
farmerman

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 10:11 am
@edgarblythe,
yeh, go figure.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 08:43 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
They use an organic alligator repellant in Vancouver

Well, I can't honestly say I've run into any outside of the zoo here. Laughing

edgarblythe wrote:
Golf's an Olympic sport.

Tell me you're kidding, right?

Perhaps it could become more Olympic if they introduced some roving alligators in different parts of the course. Wink
farmerman

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 08:50 pm
@Reyn,
Quote:
Well, I can't honestly say I've run into any outside of the zoo here.
Thats the repellent working
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 10:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Golf's an Olympic sport.

Scout's honor.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Golfing can be dangerous!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 08:27:03