Adult clicks – or I thought this crap was over

Linkat

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 12:34 pm
Why does this bother me? I was never much of a click type teenager/kid.

My older daughter loves sports especially basketball " it is her love, her talent as she calls it. I’ve seen her play and I’ve heard other parents comment on her abilities " she is good and she plays with a lot of heart and motivation. She wants to join this city league; I hear is more competitive and serious than the league she played last year. It is one of those that you need to try out for and may not get picked. I figure either way, trying out will be a good experience for her.

I’m at the gym and two other moms that have played city sports with my daughter are there. They are talking about this league and their daughters trying out as well. I mentioned " yes my daughter plans to try out, she really loves basketball and has played for quite a while. The more clicky mom says well they don’t like girls that aren’t going to the public high school, they look at this league a training league for the high school.

This really irked me. I know an older girl that joined the league and she attended the same school as my daughter " I declined to mention this, and at this point in time we do not know where my daughter will attend high school. Why would this irk me so much?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 4,035 • Replies: 21
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 12:41 pm
@Linkat,
Because it's so dismissive.

You could just say, "well, she's going to try anyway and I think it will be a good experience for her." She might not have meant it in snarky way. She may just have thought she was saving you heartache. Or maybe her daughter didn't make it and she assumed it was for the reason she gave you rather than her daughter not being good enough. All kinds of stuff could be going on there.
JPB

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 12:51 pm
@FreeDuck,
I agree with FD, but I also agree that there are definitely adult cliques.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 12:54 pm
Adults are worse than kids when it comes to this ****

Cycloptichorn
Linkat

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 01:02 pm
@FreeDuck,
I didn't include everything mostly because I was trying to keep it short. This particular mom is clicky. She sort of will talk with you when she wants and tends to be a bit snobby.

Her daughter most likely will not end up trying out because she just recently got hurt. Her daughter, although a good player, is not a motivated player. She doesn't respond well to coaching. In other words, she doesn't like to be told how to do something - this coming directly from her dad.

The tone was snarky and just immediately before she was telling the other mom, don't worry your daughter will make she is a great athelete (which I agree she is). But her daughter has never played basketball at least on a team before.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 01:03 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
But it didn't bother me when I was a kid or a teen, I just brushed it off.

I hate to admit it bothers me. Maybe because it affects my daughter and was directed toward her.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 01:16 pm
Ironically, later in the same day, I was out shopping with my daughter and bumped into another mom whose daughter played basketball with her on the less competitive league. She let me know her daughter was trying out for this league - she told as she didn't realize whether I knew about it or not. I told her my daughter was going to as well.

She sort of had the same viewpoint as me - if she makes good, if she doesn't well she can join the other league and get more experience and try again next year. This competitive league starts at the 5th grade which is the grade both our daughters are at. I've spoken with her often at games and seems to be a more reasonable type of mom. There are so many parents out there they are so competitive about their children.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 02:32 pm
@Linkat,
Took me a while to figure out that by "click" you meant "clique." Thought the thread was going to be about clicking on some links.

Carry on.
Linkat

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 02:33 pm
@Merry Andrew,
I like to be amusing.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 03:43 pm
I think that the people that were into clicks are always going to be looking for a way to make themselves exclusive. It's a hell of a lot less work than making yourself interesting or engaging.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 11:05 am
Well even with the comments my daughter made the team. Not only that the coach wants to make her the starting point guard.

I read all the paper work and it does say that this league is to get girls ready to play high school basketball. It doesn't say a particular high school just that this league is to teach girls that want to play basketball in high school.
mm25075

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 11:24 am
@Linkat,
Yay! My congrats to your daughter Linkat!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 11:28 am
@Linkat,
Yay! Any way of sharing that info with the other, bitchy mom?

Cycloptichorn
Izzie

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 11:47 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Well even with the comments my daughter made the team. Not only that the coach wants to make her the starting point guard.

Very Happy

<applause and big YAY for daughter>

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 12:02 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Oh, yeah. Next time when I go work out good chance to see her. I've been away on business so I haven't seen her since the news. But this weekend I'll be back working out.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 12:05 pm
Thanks all! I wasn't there when they got the call. But hubby said she had a huge smile on her face. And then she said - did you think I might not make the team?

I am not a basketball expert and I didn't see the tryouts so it was hard for me to know (and also you are always biased toward your own children). All I know is this girl absolutely loves the sport. And when she gets in her zone, she is a wonder and a joy to watch - you can just tell she loves it.
JPB

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 02:55 pm
@Linkat,
Yay! Congrats to your daughter, linkat. And, raspberries to snotty ladies who butt in where they have no business butting in.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 05:16 pm
Yay! Great news.
Linkat

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 10:59 am
@FreeDuck,
Thanks - I didn't rub it in. I just went about my workout. And living well is the best revenge any way and I rarely stew over things. I think this is why I was so shocked about how I felt about it.

Can't wait for the games to start next month! I will be a nervous wreck.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 11:02 am
Every time i see the title of this thread, i imagine Linkat clicking on some innocuous link and suddenly be confronted by pictures of nekkid ladies . . .

1. Forums
  2. » Adult clicks – or I thought this crap was over
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 03:27:33