Dan Brown's worst sentences

Sglass

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 09:38 pm
@Setanta,
It is important to know the difference if you go to court, eh?
JTT

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 10:03 pm
Dan Brown's worst sentences

I wouldn't know. I couldn't get past the first number of pages. Jaysus, he's a shitty writer!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 12:35 am
@Sglass,
I think slander is what they accuse you of, and libel is what they sue you for. But i ain't no law dog, so i could be wrong . . .
jespah

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 03:56 am
@Setanta,
Slander is spoken, libel is written.
farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 04:40 am
@jespah,
Dan Brown is like so last Tuesday. Hes gonna be shilling his new POS in every book store and theyll have him on C-SpanII "Book TV" with JAmes Cannon or Ken Follet boring the **** out of me. BUT LIKE SOME INSANE PERSON, Ill watch, expecting some new outcome.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 06:51 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Follet's "pillars of the Earth"

Oh. Em. Gee.

I wished I could have buried that book under a cathedral....
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 08:21 am
@Robert Gentel,
Oh good lord!

Perhaps the greatest novel ever written
By Gustav Ratzenhofer "Gus"
My heart was pounding as I turned the pages. I knew I was going to be late for work but this novel grabbed me by the pajama collar and pulled me into that realm of no return. Run, do not walk, to your local bookstore and purchase this gem of a novel.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 09:04 am
@Robert Gentel,
Can we just file this under Boomerang's "Well I liked Forest Gump" thread?
boomerang

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:10 am
@DrewDad,
Ha!

I confess, I am not a picky reader, give me a glob of text and I'll not only read it, I'll most likely enjoy it. I'll read anything and everything, just about. There are very few books I've started and didn't finish.

I'm reading The Lost Symbol right now and it's great fun. It doesn't bother me that his writing is clumsy -- it's his dialogue that really gets to me in it's stilted, mannered, awfulness -- his story rollicks along at a good pace.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 01:15 pm
@jespah,
Thank you for clarifying that Jespah.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 02:58 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
Slander is spoken, libel is written.

Yup, and both are defamation.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 03:01 pm
@joefromchicago,
I posted that link to Gus here a long time ago, he must have made a review. Laughing
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 03:32 pm
@joefromchicago,
Hilarious. I not that 1 out of 57 found the review to be helpful, and the reviewer's rank is 4,257,452.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 03:41 pm
@joefromchicago,
Is it really a good book? You know how Gus IS.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 05:29 pm
@ossobuco,
I read about half of the first page of TDvC and that was quite sufficient for me.

I've been reading Herodotus on and off recently. They were all nuts.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 03:05 pm
Thanks for posting that.

I played a game with myself and saw if I could spot what was wrong with the sentences before I read what the critics had written and I only got some of them.
I don't think literature has the lucidity to me that it has to other people (unfortunately). I don't think I have a terribly good ability to conjure a mental image from the prose. Reading those at a normal pace I think I would have probably presumed it was me who didn't get it, not that it was ****. It was interesting to have it pointed out.
0 Replies