Life without toilet paper is better than you'd think?

Reyn

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 02:15 pm
Could you see yourself doing this? Don't think I could.

-----------------------------------------------------

Life without toilet paper is better than you'd think
Updated: Sun Sep. 20 2009 13:10:32

CTV.ca News Staff

Anyone who decides to give up electricity for an entire year to draw attention to climate change has to be a little crazy, right? So how crazy would someone have to be to give up electricity and elevators and toilet paper, along with a million other comforts we take for granted?

Not that crazy at all, Colin Beavan would tell you. The author, blogger and self-described "guilty liberal" says he did the experiment not as a way to save money or "stick it to the man," but to answer some fundamental questions.

"The reason for going all the way was that it was a way of asking the question: what do we really need?" Beavan told Canada AM earlier this week from New York.

"We imagine we should be going up to our necks in credit card debt and working two jobs to get all this stuff. But what makes us happy? And what can we have that makes us happy that won't harm the planet."

To find out, Beavan decided to see if he could go "off the grid" while living an otherwise normal life in downtown Manhattan. Forced to ride along on the experiment with him were Beavan's wife, Michelle Conlin, and their then-two-year-old daughter, Isabella.

Beavan hoped his new asceticism would allow him not to just reduce his "carbon footprint," but to make no negative impact on the environment at all. To document his experiment, he got himself a blog and a moniker: No Impact Man.

The blog was an instant success and soon sparked a book deal and a film. "No Impact Man," the documentary, arrived in selected theatres last week.

Beavan is not surprised his blog led to a book; in fact, that's what the already-publisehd author considered doing first.

"Back in 2006, when this started, I was hugely concerned about climate change and I was feeling like it wasn't getting enough attention," Beavan explained. "At first I thought I should write a book about how everyone else should change and then I realized I was contributing to the problem too, so I thought maybe I should figure out what I could change."

His life changes were phased in slowly. First, Beavan and his Starbucks espresso-addicted wife gave up takeout and delivery food of all kinds, turning instead to organic and vegetarian food bought at local farmers' markets.

Next, they had their TV hauled away from their ninth-floor Manhattan apartment. They then stopped using the washing machine and dryer. Soon, they had given up just about everything one associates with modern life: microwaves, makeup, shopping, plastic, even elevators and public transit, just to see if they could "locomote" themselves instead of depending on others.

Six months into the year, came the most dramatic step: they got rid of the refrigerator and switched off the electricity.

The family made a few discoveries they had probably expected, including that walking everywhere and scrubbing your own laundry can lead to a 20-pound weight loss.

But the family learned things they hadn't expected to, including that slowing your life down brings its own rewards.

"What turns out to be good for the planet turned out to be good for people," Beavan said.

"When we got rid of television and the processed food, what we ended up doing is getting more exercise and eating really good food, and spending time as a family. So what happened is we let go of this really fast-paced life and all of a sudden, all these subtle pleasures came into our lives."

With the experiment over for almost two years now, Beavan estimates the family has kept about 60 per cent of the changes permanent.

They have a small refrigerator again and they take elevators again, as well as the subway when biking just isn't practical. But they still eat locally grown food, they still don't use air conditioning and they still don't go on shopping sprees.

And they still spend time together.

"The best part of it was we ended up spending so much time with our little girl," Beavan said. "And I think the year really set the tone for us as parents."

link to story

JPB

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 02:21 pm
@Reyn,
Wow! I was nodding along thinking, "I could do that", until I got to the refrigerator and the electricity shut off. I heart my refrigerator and my extra freezer, not to mention my computer. How did he blog?
BorisKitten

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 02:24 pm
"Colin Beavan?"

If I had that name, I just might shut of my electricity too.

<Sorry, folks; Just Joking!>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 02:29 pm
If that's the same fellow I think it is, I've read a NYTimes article about him/them, quite amazing, and an article a bit later where Elizabeth Kolbert who writes for the New Yorker was questioning at length the ecological use of their efforts. I'll be back with links; even if it's not the same guy, it's a similar story with interesting pros and cons.
farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 02:47 pm
@ossobuco,
You may be thinking of Klinkenborg the rural writer for NYT.

We have some neighbors who dont have a TV (these arent AMISH either), They are weird people and I think their lack of references to modern culture that tvlessness affords is at least, partly responsible.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 02:51 pm
It is the same person..

Ok, here's the NYT article -
The Year Without Toilet Paper

and here's the Kolbert article -
Green Like Me

and when I looked those up, I see that Colin Beavan then responded, and so on.

I'll have to reread them to remember my own pros and cons.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 02:55 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:

"We imagine we should be going up to our necks in credit card debt and working two jobs to get all this stuff. But what makes us happy? And what can we have that makes us happy that won't harm the planet."

The absence of toilet paper does not give rise to great happiness to this poster.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 03:02 pm
@farmerman,
Uh, I don't have a tv, and it was Beavan & Kolbert. I do have trouble relating to reality tv references, in a who cares sort of non-way. On the other hand, I was tv bred, and read really stupid gossip stuff on Huffington Post and google news. That ought to count for at least a few points.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 03:08 pm
@JPB,
I was wondering the same thing - you can't blog without electricity.
Linkat

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 03:10 pm
@Linkat,
And what did he use instead of toliet paper? Would have given new meaning to skid marks.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 03:11 pm
@Linkat,
All explained in those articles..
Linkat

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 03:13 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't think I want to know.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 03:19 pm
@Linkat,
I'm more on Kolbert's side than his, and my knock on her (to myself) is that she is too syrupy non critical eco-y in some articles, which I naturally have forgotten as is my way. I sort of flash read, remember my feelings upon reading data more than the data, and wouldn't launch any anti Kolbert take without rereading, and I'm generally glad she's out there writing. I was sorta glad she took him to task.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 03:21 pm
Quote:
...soon sparked a book deal and a film.....

<snork>

So much for "no impact". I'm thinking the environmental impact of those two things will very easily offset his year of climbing stairs and not wiping his but.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 03:22 pm
@boomerang,
Well, yeah, fer sure, but he was upfront with that.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 03:49 pm
Hi, thanks to all who have posted, for your interest!

When I initially read this, I was actually thinking about the fellow's wife and daughter. I wonder how much they really liked going along with all these changes?

I, like many people, try to do their bit with recycling and trying to be as "green" as possible, but I don't think I would like to be without electricity, never mind without a fridge or freezer. In this age, I don't think it's realistic to expect others to follow suit.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 04:20 pm
I just finished the book - a really good read if you are interested in the topic. He's very self-analytical.

I use ceramic travel coffee mugs, 100% recycled paper products (toilet paper, paper towels, printer paper, napkins, etc), use old rags to clean with, and I recycle everything.

I don't do well with reducing my consumption, but I certainly don't make as much trash as the average American. Mostly because I am perpetually poor, I buy clothes infrequently, run my computers and cell phones into the ground before buying anew - or better yet, I get hand-me-downs. I buy refurbished ink cartridges when I can and send the old ones into a cartridge recycling place. I could easily buy more bulk (though I do buy some). I also drink tap water (have a re-usable travel water container too). I drive a fuel efficient car around 10,000 miles per year and don't fly much.

I could never do without TP (by choice). The oddest thing that I do is blow my nose on dirty laundry.

By the end of the book, the family has gone back to life without harsh restrictions. He never says whether he went back to TP.

I try to shop at the farmers' market weekly during the produce season which only lasts about 5 months.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 04:24 pm
RE blogging, he was lent a portable solar panel which he had to sneak up onto his apartment building roof. The dropped a power line down the side of the building and into their window. He planned his no impactitude in stages, the lights went out after winter had come and gone - more solar rays to feed the panels. He wasn't really getting enough juice to blog by the time the year ended.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 06:12 pm
I spent the bulk of my childhood without store-bought toilet paper. In trying times, you make do.
Reyn

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 06:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I spent the bulk of my childhood without store-bought toilet paper. In trying times, you make do.

Sears catalogue?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Life without toilet paper is better than you'd think?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 12:24:05