Vote for The Best of the National Book Awards Fiction!

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 01:33 pm
Quote:
Who wrote The Best of the National Book Awards Fiction?

You decide! The following six Finalists for The Best of the National Book Awards Fiction were selected by 140 writers from across the country. Click on one of the circles below to make your voice heard and then click on the submit button. Your email address will then be entered for a drawing to win two tickets to the 60th National Book Awards on November 18, 2009 and two nights in the Marriott Hotel Downtown, compliments of Marriott!

October 21 - Online public voting for the Best of the National Book Awards Fiction ends.

http://www.nationalbook.org/nbafictionpoll.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,292 • Replies: 9
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 08:45 pm
@tsarstepan,
Eleven days left to vote.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 08:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
Who will you be voting for, tsarstepan, and for what reasons?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 09:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
The only one of those I've read is the Cheever book, and that some decades ago.

Having read book reviews doesn't qualify me..
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 09:19 pm
@msolga,
I voted for the Flannery O'Conner by default. I'm afraid its the only one I've read and even at that I read only a couple of stories.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 09:41 pm
Seems that one would have needed to read an awful lot of books to vote in this award!
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 12:04 am
@msolga,
Awful lot of books - I may have missed that, I just saw something like six. Am I wrong? I can take the news about being wrong..
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 12:07 am
@ossobuco,
The judges whittled it all down to six books. So your first impression was tres correct! The public gets to vote for the six books listed.
aidan

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 12:30 am
@tsarstepan,
I've read four of them - I haven't read the Pynchon or Faulkner - I can't read Faulkner, although I know other people who love him - he's too wordy for me - I have to read and reread his sentences and although I think his themes sound interesting and his settings are exactly my cup of tea - I've never made it through a piece of his. Pynchon is someone I've never explored.

So when you posted this a few weeks ago - I was delighted to see Flannery O'Connor and Ralph Ellison - two of my favorites - but then I hit a stalemate and couldn't vote until I reread Invisible Man - which I have and now I'm ready to vote - for Flannery O'Connor.
Invisible man is important but I think Flannery O'Connor is innovative in a way no one else is with themes that are universal.

so yeah - my vote goes to Flannery O'Connor
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 12:38 am
@aidan,
Faulkner, I could not push past the first paragraph. Well, that was a voluntary book, not some bit from a class.
But, in any case, not his compiled stories, which I haven't read and might like to.
0 Replies