What are they watching on Alpha Centauri?

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 11:10 am
If aliens were monitoring American TV this is what they'd be watching right now according to a map found at http://strangemaps.wordpress.com/

http://strangemaps.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/starmap.jpg

They have a lot of cool, strange maps at that site.

Do you know of any other strange maps?

dyslexia

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 11:18 am
@boomerang,
I had a phrenologist map my head, he said it was 7 3/4 with hedonistic tendencies.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 11:24 am
@boomerang,
That is a great map boomer.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 11:28 am
You have a very big head, dys.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 01:04 pm
Dys' head size aside, I wonder what if they were currently developing some technology that would allow them to arrive on Earth in mere seconds. What if they were having their astronauts watch these old shows to prepare them for life on Earth so they could blend in an observe us.

Like if they lived on Mu Arae and they were watching all this Rawhide and Bonanza stuff and they came here expecting the American west?

That'd be pretty funny.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 01:46 pm
I once authored a story about a delusional old man on a farm, in distant space. When a barbaric civilization began encroaching and threatening his farm, he sought to enlist the help of the Lone Ranger, whom he had learned about from his radio. I would say your map is about right for the story.
boomerang

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 03:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
You're ahead of your time, edgar!

That sounds like a great story.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 06:23 pm
Galaxy Quest...."historical documents."
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 07:36 pm
After watching those shows they have decided to conquer us. "Easy pickins".
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 07:42 pm
I think I've at least heard of all those shows but ST:ING on the thrid ring out.

Anybody? Anybody? Ferris?
2PacksAday

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 07:46 pm
@boomerang,
Star Trek: The Next Generation.

ST TNG...easy to confuse the T for an I
boomerang

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 08:06 pm
@2PacksAday,
Ohhhh...... duh. Thank you. I loved that show.
oolongteasup

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 08:24 pm
@boomerang,
strange map indeed as it doesnt show the closest star to our sun
gungasnake

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 08:38 pm
One thing you can be sure of...

If there actually is anybody in the universe far enough advanced to need and be capable of communications across cosmic distances, they will not be using radio waves. That would be like me trying to send a message to German cousins by splashing stones in Baltimore harbor and hoping the Germans would be able to read a (Morse Code or some such) message in the ripple waves.
2PacksAday

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 09:20 pm
@gungasnake,
A picture is worth a thousand words....in any language.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 10:37 am
I love this. This is actually the theme of my Blog. I love love love it!!!!!1one

T
K
O
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 11:15 am
@oolongteasup,
oolongteasup wrote:

What are you talking about? Alpha Centauri is the star nearest to our sun. It's right there at the bottom of the map.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 11:36 am
@oolongteasup,
oolongteasup wrote:

If you look closely at the map, you will see a tiny red dot just to the left of Alpha Cenatari, I'm guessing the map maker put it there on purpose, to represent Proxima Centari....being that it is a red dwarf {I don't see any other red dots on the map, so I don't think it's random placement}.....so I do believe that the closest star is actually there, just not named.

It's not uncommon to see Alpha Centari listed as the closest star....I still have some very old/and not so old books that list A Centari as the closest......and it can be a bit confusing to folks it seems, since the Alpha Centari "system" itself is the closest. The main system, made up of A and B, is simply more well known than Proxima {C}, probably due to the fact that you can actually see Alpha and it's sister star with the naked eye.
oolongteasup

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:20 pm
@2PacksAday,
i do enjoy a spot of fission but all the capital a's on that map look like they have red dots the naughty pixels

interesting map site worth a googurl thanks stick
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:28 pm
@boomerang,
That's cool. Wonder when they'll start p2ping music, movies, and other illegal downloadables? Wink
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What are they watching on Alpha Centauri?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/15/2024 at 04:46:15