Stephen King to Return to His Horror Roots

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2013 11:32 am
@farmerman,
Quote from Family Guy character to Stephen King: You're not even trying anymore, are you?
farmerman

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2013 11:37 am
@edgarblythe,
King's GREEN MILE and HEARTS IN ATLANTIS are greatpieces of lit. He just tajkes these huge breaks in craft.

I disagree that THE STAND was mdiocre. It was a genre that started King on his road to the realization that nobody wins anywhere. Suffering is done real well by King. Where he lost it (like the quote from family guy), is his "Rushing" to some wacko denoument when he spent so much time in the set ups.

His short stories , when he was in control of his lit powers, were amazing.
farmerman

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2013 11:39 am
@farmerman,
Hes every bit as great a short story writer as Lovecraft or POE
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2013 11:40 am
@farmerman,
I don't know all of King's work, but I love The Green Mile.
farmerman

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2013 11:58 am
@edgarblythe,
I love the intro to "Old Sparky" we named a car (a hybrid) Ole SParky after the electric chair of the same name
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2013 12:00 pm
@farmerman,
I bought the movie and have watched it a number of times.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 05:12 pm
Quote:
'Under the Dome': 10 Things to Know About CBS' Stephen King Adaptation

The series has already stretched beyond the timeline included in King's 1,000-page book, and producers
pledge there will be death -- and answers to the show's many mysteries.

CBS pulled the wrapper off its upcoming summer drama Under the Dome on Thursday, with The Hollywood Reporter
among the critics getting a first look at its adaptation of Stephen King's best-seller.
OUR EDITOR RECOMMENDS

'Under the Dome' Extended Trailer Offers Bigger Piece to the Puzzle (Video)

Watch the First Footage of CBS' Stephen King Adaptation 'Under the Dome' (Video)

WonderCon: CBS' 'Under the Dome' to Explore Faith, Fear, Fascism

'Twilight's' Rachelle Lefevre Lands Female Lead in CBS' 'Under the Dome'

'Breaking Bad's' Dean Norris to Star in CBS' 'Under the Dome'
The drama, which stars Breaking Bad's Dean Norris, follows the residents of Chester's Mill as they cope with the
fallout of what happens when a giant dome mysteriously encapsulates their town.

Here are 10 things to know about the series, which hails from Lost's Brian K. Vaughan and ER's Neal Baer.

1. Producers are billing the drama as the "TV event of the summer," and with good reason: The special effects in
the premiere episode alone feature gory amputations, car crashes and a cow brutally cut in half when the dome
arrives to seal the town off from the rest of society. And there will be bigger and better visuals, with a massive
explosion arriving in the second episode.

2. Don't call it a miniseries. While the summer series is 13 episodes, producers noted that there very much is the
potential for it to continue on with a second season. Baer, who noted that both ER and now Law & Order: SVU
lasted for 15 seasons, is optimistic that Dome could follow that trajectory. "I hope it's a trend," Baer told reporters
with a laugh following the screening. He and Vaughan both agree that the 13-episode format best suits this series.
"It's all killer and no filler," Vaughan said of the advantage to doing a shorter, cable-style run versus the
traditional 24-episode broadcast format.
continue reading...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 05:30 pm

watching tonight...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 05:45 pm
Has anyone read "Joyland" yet?

I picked up a copy and was thinking of reading it along with Mo since I heard it was okayish for young adults.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 25 Jun, 2013 04:07 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
oy, I will have an urgent need for a haircut on that day.
if i wasn't such a Huge Fan, i might've done the same.

nothing but mangled characters, condensed plots, twisted story lines...

R(feh)P
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 07:37 pm

king explains why changes were made that don't jibe with the book...
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 11:59 am
@Region Philbis,
I'm afraid to read that article. I've read the book but are there any show related spoilers?

BTW: I like and appreciate the changes made for the TV. So far, I'm enjoying the TV show MUCH more then the book.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 02:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
are there any show related spoilers?
nope.

i didn't watch the most recent episode -- i decided i didn't wanna lose that hour of sleep any more.
someday i may get the dvd and give it another chance...
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 02:54 pm
@Region Philbis,
Do you have Amazon Prime? You can stream it commercial free on there a day or two after the initial broadcast.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 02:59 pm
@tsarstepan,

no, we don't have it...
$79/year?
i'll see if the dvd is cheaper Laughing
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 8 Aug, 2013 03:06 pm
@Region Philbis,
$79 is cheaper! Consider getting all of the free shipping for 99% of your Amazon purchases. Seriously!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 28 Aug, 2013 11:41 am
Stephen King has written and will be coming out for sale on September 24th (Fall 2013) which will be the sequel to The Shining called enigmatically Doctor Sleep:
http://nymag.com/guides/fallpreview/2013/books-calendar-2013-9/
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 08:37 pm
@tsarstepan,
Matthew McConaughey Will Reportedly Play Randall Flagg In Stephen King's The Stand
http://comicbook.com/2014/11/24/matthew-mcconaughey-will-reportedly-play-randall-flagg-in-stephe/
gungasnake

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 08:42 pm
@djjd62,
Is he making any more anti-Christian movies (like The Smog or whatever that was)? He seems to have a flair for that sort of thing...
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2014 09:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Matthew McConaughey Will Reportedly Play Randall Flagg In Stephen King's The Stand
http://comicbook.com/2014/11/24/matthew-mcconaughey-will-reportedly-play-randall-flagg-in-stephe/

Wow. That's a REALLY good choice. I can totally see that. A lot of the movie adaptions of Kings work was so bad. Movies like the Shawshank Redemption, Stand by Me, The Dead Zone and Dolores Claiborne are exceptions.

I hope someday they make a really quality movie adaptation on The Gunslinger.