Art For Art's Sake

Chumly

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 06:56 pm
Like the lyrics from the 10 cc tune, ever since I started teaching full-time my energy for music performance has dissolved to zilch. So the bottom line is that over the last couple of years I've hardly played anywhere!

My vocal-guitar-live-performance chops are fizzling, and all my fancy music gear is collecting dust.

You see, I've done a financially-commercially (reasonably) successful high-tech solo act since the early 80's, and I've generally found a way around my electrical day job to gig a fair amount. However teaching the Electrical Apprenticeship Program has turned out to be ever so much more energy consuming!

I miss performing in local venues a whole lot, yet I find it very hard to bring myself to simply play for fun. I also find it really hard to find people who are at my level; no hubris intended but most of the people I've met don't have a lot of live paid performance experience or the ones that do have lots of live paid performance experience are not overly interested in no-income casual jamming.

I don't want to hang up my shoes, or just play as a hobby, or only take the odd low-paying casual gig.

I'm kinda frustrated because all those years of rehearsal and effort seem to be wasting away, yet there's no way I wanna quit my teaching job as I like it muchly!

Quote:
Give me your body
Give me your mind
Open your heart
Pull down the blind
Give me your love give me it all
Give me in the kitchen give me in the hall
Art for arts sake
Money for God's sake
Art for Arts sake
Money for God's sake
Give me the readies
Give me the cash
Give me a bullet
Give me a smash
Give me a silver give me a gold
Make it a million for when I get old
Art for arts sake
Money for God's sake
Art for Arts sake
Money for God's sake
Money talks so listen to it
Money talks to me
Anyone can understand it
Money can't be beat Oh no
When you get down, down to the root
Don't give a damn don't give a hoot
Still got to keep making the loot
Chauffeur driven
Got to make her quick as you can
Give her loving make you a man
Get her in the palm of your hand
Bread from Heaven
Give me a country
Where I can be free
Don't need the unions
Strangling me
Keep me in exile the rest of my days
Burn me in hell but as long as it pays
Art for arts sake
Money for God's sake
Art for arts sake
Money for God's sake
Art for arts sake
Money for God's sake
Art for arts sake
Money for God's sake
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 981 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 08:27 pm
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:
[...] My vocal-guitar-live-performance chops are fizzling [...]

So, what genre of music do you perform?
Chumly

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 08:30 pm
@Reyn,
As to styles: rock, jazz, blues, folk, surf, reggae, instrumentals, TV themes, country, pop, R&B, punk, metal, MOR, AOR, etc. essentially Gershwin to Willie Nelson to Santana to Dick Dale to Joan Jett to Dwight Yoakam to John Cougar to Bruce Springsteen to Albert King to The Ventures...the list goes on and on!

It makes me blue to see all that go down the tubes; as we speak I'm doing lesson plans for an upcoming exam...while my guitars weep!
Reyn

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 08:35 pm
@Chumly,
And you do all these styles well? Shocked

That's quite impressive!

You did this professionally?
Rockhead

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 08:35 pm
@Chumly,
do you play disco?

(if yes, would you please do a jewish disco version of foggy mountain breakdown for us?)

note:

this might not be art...
Chumly

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 09:33 pm
@Reyn,
Yup I do them all well, albeit it takes a full-sized van to haul all my gear and lights and stuff, so I have to count on a two hour setup time, which is a lot for one guy!

I've got five years of Royal Conservatory Piano, two years of Music College, lots of years of private lesson behind me, as well as years of working experience as a high-tech solo act in the Lower Mainland.

There were a number of years in which (I'm sure you'll recall) the economy sucked for the trades, but live music was popular, so music has saved my ass at times.

But alas, I find myself with my hands full, and all those cool tunes fading into the sunset. I have done some DJ'ing as it's so easy and pays well and I've got plenty of gear, but I don't know, it's not the same as playing and singing your heart out.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 09:41 pm
@Rockhead,
Weird Al is actually quite accomplished as a musician.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 10:29 pm
@Chumly,
but bad hair...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 07:27 am
@Chumly,
Quote:
I don't want to hang up my shoes, or just play as a hobby, or only take the odd low-paying casual gig.

I'm kinda frustrated because all those years of rehearsal and effort seem to be wasting away, yet there's no way I wanna quit my teaching job as I like it muchly!

Tough situation, Chumly. I wish you all the best in resolving it. (part-time teacher/part-time muso sounds good to me, but probably not that easy a situation to achieve.)
On the credit side, it's rather nice to be so blessed that there isn't enough time in your life to fit all your talents in!
My hunch is that you'll settle for music, after a few years of teaching, but we'll see! Smile
Chumly

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 10:59 pm
@msolga,
You're most kind,
I guess you're right I should be happy I have choices!
0 Replies