Where do you get your international news from?

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 05:36 pm
What are your sources for international flavored news? Newspapers? Magazines? Blogs? Psychic networking? Laughing Sorry about that last one. Sometimes I can't help myself. Confused

I'm looking to broaden my own international news shipping lanes and wonder what sources you trust? I think everyone could benefit from a peer reviewed repository of communally approved trusted news sites. (That may in fact prove to be a herculean task at any internet forum but I like to try it here).

Presently, I receive email newsletters from Irish Independent News and Spiegal Online. Much of my news comes from a variety of NPR related news sources (via podcasts and streaming audio). Admittedly I also get a lot of news by shrewd filtering of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report.

I touch up on the occasional New York Times and various free New York weeklies but the weeklies barely touch on the whole international news department.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,851 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 05:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

What are your sources for international flavored news?

For serious coverage, I have found the BBC online news website very good. I also like the BBC TV news, but I only get it at a bit of an inconvenient time.

Other than that, I also watch our Canadian CTV network TV news coverage.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 06:28 pm
economist.com, bbc online, and I read esquire, vanity fair Atlantic and sometimes Foreign Affairs in print, though I think most or all of them are online as well.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 06:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
I used to subscribe to Foreign Affairs several years ago. Sadly, I subscribed but never read it. I find Foreign Policy magazine to be a lot more accessible. Foreign Affairs is a great source for diplomats, members of congress, international lobbyists, and professors of political science.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 06:46 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Where do you get your international news from?

Primarily NPR (which includes early morning broadcast of BBC Overseas Service). If there's a particular story I want to know more about I usually start with CNN online and go from there.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 07:11 pm
I go on the web and find the English version of a foreign newspaper such as the Japan Times, Daily Yomuiri or China Daily.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 07:24 pm
@tsarstepan,
Not from enough sources, so I'll be reading along.

I read bbc international online, and the guardian (observor) online.
Read google news.
A2k -
I like to read nimh's posts and a few others on a2k for their particular takes on events, and read nimh on Cogitamus. Read some other blogs by a2kers once in a while. Oh, fbaezer for sure on Mexico and other places far and wide.
Dagmaraka, for her varied adventures and conciliation efforts. The British Thread when I can abide it.

New York Times/Washington Post/LA Times/SF Chronicle online.
New Yorker mag by subscription. Link to the Atlantic online).
I've got links to five italian newspapers, some in italian for when I want a challenge, and some also in english for improved comprehension.
The website Only in Italy - spoof of italian politics and mores.
Beppe Grillo's website (which I lost in a recent computer flume but need to get back).
Oh, yeah, Huffington Post online, for which I've mixed feelings.
and
zillions of food blogs from all over the place (I call them flgs)
0 Replies