GRE Advice?

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 01:55 pm
I finally bit the bullet and registered to take the GRE in preparation for returning to school. Right now I'm just taking the Math subject test, and I'm a little nervous having been out of school long enough to forget most of what I ever learned. To top it off, the only date I could choose that wasn't too late for next year's application deadlines is November 7, just a few weeks away. Does anyone have any preparation advice? I've printed out the booklet to prepare, and I dug up all of my undergraduate books and materials on the subject, but I'm unsure if that's enough. Anyone out there take this test before?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,612 • Replies: 7
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 02:05 pm
@FreeDuck,
I did before going back to get my master's, yep. I remember being VERY worried before taking it, VERY busy and unable to prepare much, and then finding the actual test rather anticlimactic. As in, not nearly as hard as I expected. You're smart, I don't think you need to worry.

Meanwhile, congrats on this new direction... can you tell me more? Will you be in school full-time, or working too? What are you going for (both degree and in terms of career/ work)?
FreeDuck

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 02:12 pm
@sozobe,
Well, I'm going to try to be a secondary math teacher. I miss my math, sitting here in this cubicle writing applications for travel agents. And I'm starting to feel like I could make a contribution to some poor math-hating or underencouraged kids.

I've been talking to a local college with a good reputation about a masters degree in teaching, and it looks like a very good program. (Meaning I think that they try to make good teachers, not just teachers.) The thing is that I don't know if I'll be a good math teacher, but I guess I'm going to try anyway. If that doesn't work out but if my scores are good enough, I may just try to go all the way through phd in math and see what happens.
sozobe

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 02:16 pm
@FreeDuck,
Excellent! I was wondering if that's what it would be.

I still remember my 7th and 8th grade math teacher, Donna. I was a math whiz back then but then stalled in H.S. with my stupid (male) math teacher. Which is not to say that all male math teachers are horrible and all female ones are wonderful, at all. I do think there is something important for girls about having a female math teacher, though.

I think you'd be really, really good at it.

Have you looked into the financial aid opportunities available to math teachers? I think female math teachers get extra goodies.
Letty

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 02:16 pm
@FreeDuck,
I did, FreeDuck. The only thing that saved me was the verbal part. Math was my failing point. Got admitted, however, and ended up with a 4.0 average. Good luck, gal.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 02:23 pm
I wouldn't sweat it, if someone as retarded as I am did well with zero prep I'm sure you will do well.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 02:26 pm
@Letty,
Good going, Letty! That is encouraging.

Dys, there you go pretending to be retarded again.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 02:29 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Excellent! I was wondering if that's what it would be.

I still remember my 7th and 8th grade math teacher, Donna. I was a math whiz back then but then stalled in H.S. with my stupid (male) math teacher. Which is not to say that all male math teachers are horrible and all female ones are wonderful, at all. I do think there is something important for girls about having a female math teacher, though.

I think you'd be really, really good at it.

Thanks for that. All of my good math teachers in middle and high school were women. I had three excellent male ones at the college level, though. So I know what you mean.

Quote:
Have you looked into the financial aid opportunities available to math teachers? I think female math teachers get extra goodies.

We have the HOPE scholarship here for high demand subjects -- Math being one of those. I can probably get all tuition paid for but won't be able to work for a year, so that's where the real cost comes in. I'm hoping that if my scores are good I can start shopping for scholarships or fellowships or whatever you call them at that level.
0 Replies