littlek

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 03:04 pm
I have been pining for a particular Hendrix disc for years. I still have the album. Electric Ladyland is a double LP and the discs came as a set of two. I found a disc cheap - only 15 bucks! So, I bought it. It sucks. I don't know if the tracks have always sucked and my tastes have evolved or if the manufacturers of this disc reduced the resolution of the tracks to fit them on one disc instead of two.

1. Can music files, like image files be reduced in resolution?
2. Did Electric Ladyland always suck?
3. Do ya think I can get a refund from Strawberries if the answer to #1 is yes and #2 is no? (a more rhetorical question, really)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,031 • Replies: 11
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 03:13 pm
@littlek,
Get a turntable and listen to the originals?
littlek

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 03:18 pm
@DrewDad,
...in my car?
Ragman

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 03:19 pm
@littlek,
Electric Ladyland on a vinyl LP was pretty well recorded and mastered. However , speaking generically, a different recording process can occur depending on how the label releases a particular CD in terms of its re-mastering...specifically in the noise reduction (or noise increase and stereo channel separtation ). If the label used a bad master (due to its degradation or they try to 'diddle with the remastering) to record the new CD, it can sound like hell. Of course if they crowd more than 70 mins onto a CD and shrink the file's resolution in order to do it, a mess can occur too.

Witness the sonic mess made (bad master) of Santana's 'Abraxas'. It soujdas gross on CD and fair on LP.

I have a gold stereophile CD of Electric Ladland that sounds pretty good, so I'm guessing the CD you have is a particularly bad re-mastering on that record label.

I will assume that most of your other discs are fine and it's not the fault of your player or amp/receiver.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 03:21 pm
Yeah, the rest are fine. If the store had the dual disc album, I would have both that more expensive version - but they didn't.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 03:21 pm
@littlek,
No...what Drew is saying is to listen to that CD in your car or at another location on a different CD player to eliminate your CD player as the fault. Then listen to the LP vinyl record right after that test to compare it.
littlek

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 03:22 pm
@Ragman,
Yeah, realized it was either that or to see if the album did, originally, sound crappy.
eoe

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 04:23 pm
I downloaded a remastered version of it from itunes. Sounds great. But considering that I haven't heard the wax in decades, there's no way to compare the two.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 07:48 pm
As I wrote previously, I'm a stereophile, and have the vinyl LP as well as a stereophile re-mastered gold CD and they both sound fine. Even the non- stereophile CD sounds fine (have it as well).

"To this day, more than 40 years later, no one has even approached the sonic and technical brilliance that he displays here. This music pointed the way forward, not just for Hendrix, but for music in general. Have I mentioned that this may be the greatest headphone album of all time? If you’ve never even been near a drug of any kind, put on a pair of headphones and listen as Hendrix’ guitar swoops and dives from one side to the other. You’ll get some idea of what it means to be high. "
littlek

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 08:34 pm
I felt like I was on drugs just listening to the disc in the car. Maybe I should experiment with sound systems.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 09:42 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Have I mentioned that this may be the greatest headphone album of all time? If you’ve never even been near a drug of any kind, put on a pair of headphones and listen as Hendrix’ guitar swoops and dives from one side to the other. You’ll get some idea of what it means to be high. "

I remember hearing it for the first time so well. I was only 11 or 12. My brother, who tenderly slid the headphones over my young ears and said "check this out", was in high school and definitely doing his share of smokin' and tokin'. Very Happy
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 06:55 am
@littlek,
littlek wrote:
or to see if the album did, originally, sound crappy.

This.
0 Replies