do you actually use your garge for your cars?

Chumly

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 01:45 pm
@Rockhead,
The purpose of a garage is in its use, not in its name; i.e. "a rose by any other name..."

Since there was a typo in tittle, I took a similar liberty with the word purpose / porpoise.
dyslexia

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 01:49 pm
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:

The purpose of a garage is in its use, not in its name; i.e. "a rose by any other name..."

Since there was a typo in tittle, I took a similar liberty with the word purpose / porpoise.
that wasn't a typo, I can't speel worth a ****.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 01:55 pm
tittle
Laughing
He he.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 02:30 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

what's a garge?

Exactly.

I understand that this house I now live in at on e time had a garage. It is that part of the house where I am presently sitting inasmuch as the previous tenant had that lovely space converted into a home office with built-in desk space and shelf space. The car gets parked where everyone parks their cars hereabouts -- in the carport in front of the main entrance.

Wanna make somethin' of it?
dyslexia

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 02:38 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Yeah I hear that, when I lived in Arizona I laughed at the idiots who parked their cars in a garage (oven) anyone with brains in Arizona parks their car under a carport.
Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 02:40 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

Yeah I hear that, when I lived in Arizona I laughed at the idiots who parked their cars in a garage (oven) anyone with brains in Arizona parks their car under a carport.

Yeah, we call that a dog-trot in W. Texas.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 03:04 pm
I would dearly love to park my car in a garage regularly, but I've given up on that ever happening. We have a detached 2-car garage with a room above, and practically every square inch of it is packed with Hubby's stuff. An undriveable '53 Chevy pickup, a generator, bikes, lawnmower, various yard tools, lumber, spare parts of all kinds, future garage sale items, etc. I don't go in there.
Letty

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 03:11 pm
@Eva,
You're like I am, Eva. One MUST keep a car garaged here or the frame and other things, will rust away.

I have a two car garage and only one car, so I have lots of room for junk plus washer and dryer and a small fridge.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 03:25 pm
I have a two car garage and I park two cars in it. My wife's old car looked brand new after 13 years. Protection from the elements does mean something.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 03:48 pm
My car is melting here in New Mexico. The rug/decor on the back, er, door (it's a Volvo station wagon) has fallen half way off, and the undercasing for the glove box is hanging off. I tried fixing that with velcro, silly idea. Meantime, I just was told about some super adhesive available at auto zone and such places. We'll see. Meantime, my auto has a certain derelict flair. I don't park in the garage yet because it is still semi filled with boxes, though I'm making progress in getting rid of a lot of the stuff.

In Venice, my garage was built in 1913 or so - quite small as garages go. I redid it (and I do mean I physically rebuilt it) into a design studio. Some sunny day I'll show photos - it was pretty cool and I miss it.

engineer

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 04:07 pm
@ossobuco,
Get some RTV at the auto store and your glove box should be fine.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 04:16 pm
@engineer,
RTV, thanks! The guy at Discount Tire told me that, but I'd forgotten the name.
There's an auto store near us, so this should be easy. Also, it's no longer screamingly hot here so it shouldn't be too aggravating to work on.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 05:17 pm
The only way I could park in my garage is to remove my tool box, my workbench, the chest freezer, and all of the rest of the junk that is stored in it.

The good news is that I am getting a 30 yard dumpster on monday, I am putting a new roof on my house, and most of the stuff in the garage is getting thrown out (but my wife doesnt know that yet).
ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 06:30 pm
@mysteryman,
Ah, the garage diaries.. (good luck)
margo

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 06:45 pm
Car in garage - along with assorted junk - cat littler box, lawn mower, clothes dryer, assorted cupboards, old mattresses, painting and craft gear, etc.

It's a bit of a tight fit, now!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 06:46 pm
@ossobuco,
Some portion of the bilge in my garage is folded up boxes from my moving, as I plan to get heavy into ebay one of these days, and besides, those boxes weren't cheap at the time. Plus I need to keep painting packing, and some of my paintings are big. This treasure of cardboard will go to my back patio enwrapped by tarp right near where my neighbor has her shed. So, the ugly will be all in one place. I also have a kitchen sink (kohler, 2000, a good one, new when I bought it and never installed), an 1882 or so oak chest, and some chair groups and other furniture, most of which I plan to advertise on craigslist. I'll still keep the sink, in fond hopes I'll redo my present kitchen, which is the shits. This way I can keep the craigslist people in only the garage. Not that I'm phobic, more that I'm careful as an older victimizable woman. I have rugs, not all so valuable, but all interesting, that I hate to sell, but should, and will put them in there too when I work the craigslist thing out.

So - hey - garage sale space.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 10:17 pm
@ossobuco,
I dont think my wife even knows whats all in the garage.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 03:17 am
@dyslexia,
My backyard "garage" ( Laughing ) is a tiny thing. Just enough room in there for lawn mower, gardening bits & pieces & a few bit of miscellaneous stuff. My car parks out the front of my little Victorian house, on the street. This space has enough room for one car & is in high demand in hot weather, because of the largish tree that occupies the nature strip right next to it. So I often come home & find someone else has commandeered it. Their car is more often than not covered in bird poo, because the neighborhood birds think the tree is great, too! Smile
0 Replies

mm25075

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 05:52 am
@dyslexia,
But I don't have a carport...just a garage...want to talk about an oven...? the INTERIOR of the car when it's not parked in the garage in 110 degree heat. Very Happy
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 07:52 am
We have a two car garage. On the sides of it, the former owner built a number of closets, and some shelves. When we moved in, Mr. P. added yet more shelves, where he keeps his various and sundry electronics equipment, that he never uses.

When I quit work, right before I moved to my present house, the last thing that I bought with my earnings was a huge red toolbox from Sears. I was sick of having tools all over the place.

Anyhow, Mr. P keeps HIS car on one side of the garage. On the other side are boxes from things that we no longer own. (You can never tell when you will need a certain size box. Rolling Eyes )

At one time, we owned a boat that was about the size of a large bathtub. We seldom used it, so eventually, it was full of junk. After we sold the boat, the junk kept piling up anyway.

I am not upset that my car will probably never see the inside of the garage. In the front, we have a series of sliding screen doors, and for me, it would be obnoxious to have to move those screens every time that I wanted to take the car out of the garage. I move just too quickly to get involved in that nonsense.

I do have a fantasy, though. Someday, I will rent a dumpster. I will then throw everything that I don't consider important into the dumpster, and have it taken away. If I happen to inadvertently toss something in that I would need, so what? It's only a thing, and things can be replaced.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 08:04:59