Plagiarism Detection: Good or BAD?

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 01:30 pm
what do you guys think about plagiarism detection is it good or bad?
Frist of all i started this topic because of my class and we had to engage our audience, and i am very pro regardng plagiarism detection. There are many college students, that copy many things from internet and does not give credit for. I am very strict about giving people credit, when i get something out of the internet books, or any other resourse. If you guys agree to this please respond..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,668 • Replies: 3
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 02:03 pm
@akarpokhrel,
I agree. Credit should be given where credit is due. For example, akarpokhrel, I can tell by your poor spelling, improper grammar and improper syntax that you wrote this yourself. I started to fix your sentences but I got tired and stopped:

(W)hat do you guys think about plagiarism detection(?) (I)s it good or bad?
(First) (sp) of all(,) i started this topic because of my class and we had to engage our audience, and i am "very pro (regarding) (sp)" (change to 'in favor of) plagiarism detection. There are many college students (eliminate comma) (who) copy many things from (the) internet and (do) not give credit for (their sources). I am very strict about giving people credit(period). (W)hen i get something out of the internet books, or any other (resource) (sp). If you guys agree to this please respond..
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 03:56 pm
There is an interesting debate going on in some colleges and universities about whether the use of plagiarism detection software is consistent with having an honor code, for schools that have such a thing in a more or less "official" capacity. The tradition at my school, for example, is for students to include with every assignment or exam a signed statement saying they have not committed any form of academic dishonesty. With the recent addition of plagiarism detection software to our resources, however, some faculty members here wonder whether it is consistent to claim to uphold this honor code and then run our students' assignments through plagiarism detection software anyway. If we use the software as a matter of course, does it empty the honor pledge of meaning? It's an interesting question and I'm not sure where I stand on the matter yet.
0 Replies

kavinpandey

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 05:35 pm
@akarpokhrel,
plagiarism detection is definitely good because how can someone get the credit for someone Else's work. the hard work and the determination of the original writer should always be praised and as we study to pass the grade by our own effort one should never be credited with others work.
0 Replies