Patrick Swayze

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 07:10 pm
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Actor Patrick Swayze, who went from Broadway dancer to Hollywood star in box-office hits like "Dirty Dancing" and "Ghost," died on Monday, U.S. media reports said. He was 57.

Swayze, whose spokesman announced in March 2008 that the actor had pancreatic cancer, died at home with his family at his side, ABC News reported, citing his spokeswoman Annett Wolf.

The Texas native began his career as a dancer and made dozens of stage, film and TV appearances over four decades. Pop culture immortality came with 1987's "Dirty Dancing," which defied Hollywood expectations to become one of the most-watched movies of all time.

Swayze played the swaggering Castle in the film opposite Jennifer Grey's sheltered teenager, Frances "Baby" Houseman, who becomes smitten with Castle while on vacation at a New York resort during the 1960s.

An unlikely romance builds between the pair as Castle trains the gawky teen to stand in for his partner at a dance-off in the film's climactic scene and confronts her father with the often-quoted line from the film: "Nobody puts Baby in the corner."

"Dirty Dancing," which was made for a modest budget and almost scrapped by its studio, became a massive box-office hit, earning Golden Globe nominations for both stars and spawning the Oscar-winning hit single "(I've Had) The Time of My Life."

(Reporting by Jill Serjeant, editing by Philip Barbara
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 1,684 • Replies: 13

mismi

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 07:56 pm
@edgarblythe,
It's sad. He kept on keeping on as long as he could. I always remember Saturday Night Live with Christ Farley - so funny.

This was a good article too...

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iI6rYwtW5ttJYhJ51d_aPbnBpDkQD9ANEUGG0
ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 08:05 pm
Aw, dammit.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 08:15 pm
ditto.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 08:21 pm
It is sad! He was one of the good guys. No scandals, no star affectations, just a
regular guy, married to the love of his life for 34 years. She must be devastated.

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/6647/picture1rz.png
ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 08:36 pm
@mismi,
I have a chippendale dancer friend, snort, and he'd snort too, I suppose. (Time to email him). He was always tanner than the rest of us.

Patrick, rest in peace.

0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 08:46 pm
Yeah.. him and his wife met I think when they were 15 and 19.

I can not imagine.

He was a fantastic dancer though. Gotta say Smile

You didnt have to like the movie to appreciate his obvious talent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpmILPAcRQo
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 08:54 pm
Rest in peace, Patrick.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 05:19 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:
It is sad! He was one of the good guys. No scandals, no star affectations, just a regular guy, married to the love of his life for 34 years. She must be devastated.

Given the pressures of Hollywood, this kind of normality becomes extraordinary in my opinion.

T
K
O
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 09:07 am
I never saw "Dirty Dancing" or "Ghost" but I did see "Roadhouse". "Roadhouse" was a lot of fun to watch, a very entertaining "B movie." I also admired Swayze for being a good husband and having a loving marriage.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 09:09 am
He's like the wind.

0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 07:53 am
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/stevetheq/patrick.png
panzade

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 08:03 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
THAT aint riiiiight Very Happy