A Question for Cowdoc

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 05:43 pm
Heya Cowdoc,

I haven't figured out how to find the member list so I could pm you so I thought I'd try to contact you this way.

I have a six year old Paso Fino mare who is pregnant. She is a rescued horse and was pregnant when I got her. I have no idea when she was bred so I don't know exactly when to expect her to foal.

She has milk droplets coming from her teats and I'm thinking this is a sign she might foal soon? Is there something in particular that will tell me that she is about to give birth?

I swear if she gets any fatter she's gonna either give birth to a full grown horse or just explode! It does look like the foal has moved back toward her hindquarters some but I am by no means an expert in this so I may be seeing something not really there. But, there is definitely droplets coming from her teats.

I'd appreciate any info you can give me. I tried the net but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 893 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 06:54 pm
@Arella Mae,
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090501011258AAjQZ8l
I'm guessing that you're referring to foaling? Horses typically foal around 11 months of gestation. They can successfully foal up to 3 weeks early or 3 weeks late.

Typically they will have significant mammary development. Usually within a few days (sometimes hours - depends on the horse) they will "wax" and can leak milk for days before foaling.

They will usually pace and act uncomfortable for atleast a few hours before she foals. Most of the time they will wait until you're not there to have the foal. If you think you absolutely need to be present - go to walmart and buy yourself a closed circuit security camera and set it up so you can watch it from your house. Most people tend to panic when they see the horse having the contractions and think they're having difficulty when it's perfectly normal. Leave your horse alone - you'll know if she's having trouble and need to call the vet!

http://www.mareandfoal.org/html/index.php?name=FAQ&id_cat=3#q22
There are several clues available. A mare will often start lactating (oozing milk from her teats) several days before birth. Her behaviour may also change markedly, such as being grumpy, irritable or splitting herself off from the herd. The position of the foal also changes shortly before birth and you may notice a change in her belly's shape.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 07:10 pm
@Arella Mae,
I posted a link to your question over in the football thread CowDoc and his wife check in with once in a while.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 07:17 pm
@ehBeth,
good work, ehB.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 07:33 pm
@ehBeth,
Oh thank you ehBeth. I appreciate that.

Ceili, okay so I am thinking she should have this foal pretty soon since she has milk droplets? She is running her two year old away from her quite often now. This is my first foal so I'm at a total loss. I appreciate the info!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 07:36 pm
The 2nd site seems to have a lot of info. I don't know anything about horses either so it was interesting searching.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 07:45 pm
@Arella Mae,
I'm still around. Got back from working heifers in Mackay and saw Ehbeth's post. As a general rule, signs of labor are pretty clear, especially after the water bag breaks. I have to admit that September is a pretty strange time for a mare to be foaling in the northern hemisphere, but strange things happen. We have an adage regarding equine reproduction that says "Always remember that 'mare' is a four-letter word". Seriously, though, mares generally foal easily without assistance. That's a good thing, because mares that do need assistance are in a fair amount of trouble. Unless there are obvious signs of a problem, the best thing you can do is usually to let her have the foal on her own. I would highly recommend three things after foaling: first, treat the foal's navel with iodine - seven percent tincture is the best. Secondly, make damned sure that the foal gets up and nurses. The mare's colostrum is by far the best preventive medicine the foal can get. Lastly, most foals are born constipated. It's not a bad idea to get a disposable fleet enema and use it prophylactically as soon as the foal gets up to nurse. That's the best advice I can give you for now! The Miz also reminded me that you should make sure she "cleans" - which means passes all the placenta - within two to four hours. The other thing I forgot is that if her two-year-old is a gelding, get him the hell out of there. Geldings have a bad habit of killing newborns. Good luck!
Arella Mae

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 09:57 pm
@CowDoc,
Okay, first, I have no idea when she was bred so don't know if September is her time or not. She has a two year old filly, not a gelding. I have a four year old gelding out there though. Mac wouldn't harm a fly as far as I know but I can separate them. I have the iodine tincture. I got that when I thought she was in labor a couple months back. LOL What a day that was. O.....................k, I ain't crazy about giving the baby an enema! I do know to look for a pile of black stuff from the foal because that is the plug that is in them when they are in the womb. I know that is the wrong terminology. LOL

Cowdoc, does milk droplets on her teats mean she is close though? Her milkbag does look a little fuller but I wouldn't call it a real big change from two days ago.
CowDoc

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 10:31 pm
@Arella Mae,
It generally means she's getting close, but it doesn't narrow it down a whole lot. About all you can do is watch and wait.
Arella Mae

Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 10:45 pm
@CowDoc,
Funny, but somehow I just had a feeling you were gonna say something like that. LOL I am waiting, and waiting, and waiting, and waiting, etc. LOL I'm just very excited. This is the first foal for me.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 09:01 pm
@CowDoc,
Cowdoc, I have another question. Horses don't produce colostrum unless they are pregnant, right? I don't know why that question popped into my mind but I can't find anything on the net about the answer.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 09:04 pm
@Arella Mae,
I don't think humans do either..
dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 02:07 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

Cowdoc, I have another question. Horses don't produce colostrum unless they are pregnant, right? I don't know why that question popped into my mind but I can't find anything on the net about the answer.

They produce colostrum after they give birth and before the milk comes in.

Just like humans and other mammals.
dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 02:07 am
@ossobuco,
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 10:57 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan,

Okay, I have a question. If they don't produce colstrum until after birth, what the heck is coming out of her teats when they are squeezed? Is it called something different before birth? I have so much to learn about horses yet and I am sure some of my questions sound downright stupid but I don't know the answers so I'm gonna ask.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » A Question for Cowdoc
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/08/2024 at 05:45:07