what rhymes with orange?

TTH

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 08:39 pm
@josiebella100,
josiebella100 wrote:
i would think at least one world in the english language would have to rhyme.
Why?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 08:43 pm
What rhymes with silver?

What about purple?

Why does orange get all the attention?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 09:43 pm
nurple

http://noolmusic.com/vimeo_videos/purple_nurple__mom_on_street_smarts.php
farmerman

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 04:53 am
@Rockhead,
only one word rhymes with orange .

MELANGE.

and even that doesnt rhyme real good, cause , used in context, makes a really dumb rhyme line.

In my breakfass melange
sits an egg and a great big orange.
See waht I mean, it sounds stupid.

Im in the fith grade
solipsister

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 05:08 am
@farmerman,
borange
hurple
chilver
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 05:11 am
@farmerman,
actually two, seeing melange, made me remember blancmange

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/54/Blancmange_on_plate.jpg/800px-Blancmange_on_plate.jpg
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 05:17 am

ooh, ooh, i know...

forange, as in "i'm learning a forange language."

your welcome...
farmerman

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 05:20 am
@djjd62,
That dessert thingy looks like a clot from inside a drainpipe.

Where did you earn the app of biskit breath?
farmerman

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 05:21 am
@Region Philbis,
OK, you will report to Om sig's office of "silly talks"
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 05:22 am
@farmerman,

no way, Hose-A...
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 05:27 am
@farmerman,
not sure about the breath

interesting you'd mention the office of silly talks, i first learned of blancmanges by watching monty python as a youngster
solipsister

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 05:31 am
@djjd62,
since when did blah monnnge
rhyme with or ange
dead parrots in a fish dance
farmerman

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 05:37 am
@solipsister,
you actually mean a BLEH' mahhhhnge.

Which MP sketch do you refer?
djjd62

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 05:38 am
@solipsister,
maybe it's a canadian thing, i definitely soften the a in orange, leaning more towards a aw sound than a hard a or i (as the dictionary suggests)
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 05:44 am
@farmerman,
can't remember the lead up, but it ended with a scotsman playing tennis against a giant blancmange at wimbledon

7. You're No Fun Anymore

(episode 7; aired 30 November 1969; recorded 10 October 1969)

* Camel Spotting
* You're No Fun Any More
* The Audit
* Science Fiction Sketch
o Man Turns Into Scotsman
o Police station
o Blancmanges Playing Tennis

Details

* Although listed individually in books and other media, Man Turns into Scotsman, Police Station and Blancmange Playing Tennis are all part of the Science Fiction Sketch.
* Extragalactic Blancmange puddings feature prominently. The story reverses the usual relationship of people eating food, into food eating people.
* A table-size sentient Blancmange from planet Skyron of the Andromeda Galaxy turns the tables by eating people, especially now-historic players of tennis. Alien Blancmange(s) also have the power to instantly turn 48 million English citizens into northward-marching Scots. Chief Scientist Charles, his mistreated bimbo girlfriend, and a police detective eventually deduce that this bizarre cultural conversion and player consumption is an effort to depopulate England and win the Wimbledon tennis championships. The core theory here is that if everyone in England is turned into Scotspeople, they are sure to lose the tennis match, since (according to the characters) Scots are terrible at tennis. What the Blancmanges stand to gain by winning at Wimbledon is never brought up.
* The Blancmange(s) from space eat 1970s tennis stars. Then, a single tennis-playing Blancmange is thwarted when it is chased and eaten by a couple armed with forks, spoons, and napkins. The couple, Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Brainsample (Eric Idle and Graham Chapman), were snubbed as boring in the first scene, but they too just happen to be from the Blancmange(s)' home planet of Skyron. With all the famous players and the Blancmange eaten, the only remaining tennis player is kilt salesman Angus Podgorny (Michael Palin). Podgorny seems strangely cheerful for having watched his wife (Terry Jones) being eaten a few scenes earlier. The wrapup sports announcer (John Cleese) narrates the unlikely TV spectacle of a Scotsman winning Wimbledon after playing against himself " hopping back and forth across the net " for 15 years, we are told.
* Multiple Blancmange sightings are mentioned, but only one is seen and eaten in the final sketch. The Monty Python Blancmange looks more like a round coffee table in a white fabric tent than a gelatinous pudding.

panzade

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 08:31 am
@djjd62,
That was my introduction to blancmange too dj...as usual, MP loved to ridicule all things French
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 10:05 am
i just read this the other day. The reason orange sounds like no other word in the english dictionary is because it is one of the only words in our language based on Catalan. In all western based languages orange is spelled very similarily, oranges were in fact developed by the Catalans.
Catalan - Taronja
Spanish - naranja
French - l'orange
English - orange
Dutch - oranje

I wonder if people who speak other languages have the same orange rhyming conundrums?
Letty

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 10:10 am
@Ceili,
didn't know that Ceili. I think it was Ogden Nash who started that business with orange. (can't remember the other word he talked about). I pronounce "orange" AREange. My students pronounced it ORange; consequently, they observed that door hinge rhymed with orange.
Francis

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 10:22 am
@Letty,
So, according to the way you pronounce orange things change? Confused
Letty

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 10:38 am
@Francis,
I was speaking of English, Francis, and that's true. How would you pronounce it?