C99

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 02:20 pm
Personally, do you like the Godzilla movie that takes place in Japan,
or the Godzilla movie that takes place in New York?
Personally, I like the God zilla that takes place in New York.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,824 • Replies: 12
No top replies

C99

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 03:03 pm
@C99,
anyone?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 04:02 pm
@C99,
The first one that I saw as a kid was the best, as I was of an age that I could enjoy such a movie to the max.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 04:22 pm
@C99,
I liked the one where they dubbed in Pwerry MAson . It was so cheesy that it was great entertainment. I was about 8 when I saw it and I went around talking English while I made my mouth move in unEnglishlike formations.

The new Godzilla is just another brain dead "helicopters get squashed by monster" movie.

AS DAVE BARRY said
'The badness of a movie is directly proportional to the number of helicopter scenes"
mysteryman

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 06:31 pm
I am a HUUUUUGE fan of the Japanese monster movies.
Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, etc.

I know they are cheesy and stupid, but there is something about them that I love.

Of course, my favorite monster movie is an American film.
Its called "Them" and stars Fess Parker and James Arness.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 09:41 pm
@farmerman,
The scenes with Raymond Burr were added by the American distributor to the original 1954 version of Godzilla. The distributor also dropped many of the original version's allusions to nuclear testing, which was something of a sore point for American audiences. The Japanese version is actually a pretty good film, and it used some stop motion models in addition to the guy in the rubber Godzilla suit -- something that subsequent Toho monster pictures dropped entirely.
farmerman

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 04:53 am
@joefromchicago,
I never consirered that the original producers of the original Godzilla had purposely left spaces into which other countries could overdub their own stars. The last time I saw this version of G'zilla was about 5 years ago when my son nd I were watching and yukking it up like "Mystery SCience 3000". As I recall , Raymond Burr looked like he was phoning it in and any time he was gaving direct contavt with the Japanese cast, the actors they used for the American version all had their backs to us .

I recall many of the titles of these Japanese films, like "Destroy all Monsters"
I remember from MS3000 when they played a version where Godzilla was rehabilitated and was actually on the side of the people. Nice Godzilla, Good Lizard!

A much better movie(at least from the effects POV) was "The BEast from20000 fathoms" (which is a geological impossibility). As I recall, that monster was an original claymation (when they still used clay and you could see the glistening smudges where the clay was dented as they manipulated the frame of the monster).
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 08:09 am
@farmerman,
I don't think The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms was claymation (i.e. using plasticine or a similar substance, like in the Wallace & Gromit films). The beast was a model, like the original King Kong, minus the monkey fur.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 08:25 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I never considered that the original producers of the original Godzilla had purposely left spaces into which other countries could overdub their own stars.

This happens quite often with low-budget films redistributed to make more money. The Japanese producers did not necessarily "leave spaces" for overdubbing. The rights to a low-budget film are purchased by a new distributor, original scenes are deleted, new scenes and new actors are edited in (all to appeal to a wider audience and make more money).

This was even done with a 1970's film starring Bill Murray called "Meatballs". A Canadian low-budget film about teenagers at summer camp was re-edited with newly filmed scenes featuring Bill Murray and some of the original Canadian cast members. (Bill Murray was not in the original production, all of his scenes were filmed later.)
farmerman

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 10:14 am
@wandeljw,
oh. Never gave that much thought. Works for me though.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 10:16 am
I loved Mothra.

I wanted to be one of those miniature japanese girls that sang to him.
farmerman

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 11:08 am
@chai2,
they were really gay
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2014 04:43 pm
0 Replies