Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 07:07 am
what is a domain broker and why do I have to ' make an offer' on a domain name that is not in use?

And when they ask for an offer, what is reasonable?
it isnt in use, I do not understand why I have to give money for this.
Is this a scam?

ebrown p

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 07:55 am
@shewolfnm,
If I understand what is happening-- you are trying to buy a domain name that was bought by a speculator.

People buy up domain names that they think other people want-- they own the name even though they don't have any intention of using it. They then hope that someone, such as yourself, will want the name enough to pay for it.

Yes it is a scam-- but thems the rules.

The best thing to do is think up another name.
shewolfnm

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 08:01 am
but but but but.....

it is my business name.

There is another variation of it.. that ends up being a .us instead of .com

that isnt too much of an issue right? ugh..
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 08:07 am
@ebrown p,
Even if you just want a name that no one has bought up, you will still have to pay something to register the domain. ebrown or someone might have a better idea what the basic cost is. I think it's about $50.

If you want the name, lowball an offer. $100 for something that would cost you $50 otherwise might be worth it. They don't have to let it go for that price but it makes them money and gets you the name you want.
shewolfnm

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 08:24 am
Ouch. I looked into their "starting bids"

500.00$

five..HUNDRED...

oh gads.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 11:01 am
@parados,
Fifty Bucks!!!

I bought a couple of domain names a couple of years ago for $8.99 each. It costs me $6.99 a year to renew the name (less if you buy a couple of years at a time).

I just checked... in 2 minutes, I found someone who will register names for $10.69.

((This assumes that all you want is the domain name-- of course, hosting costs extra))
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 06:14 pm
How did you do that search?

When i started checking the internet for the name I want, I get a search engine that leads me to a website that SELLS the name, claiming someone already owns it.

Can you register it when someone else owns it?

This is kinda confusing to me..
ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 06:30 pm
@shewolfnm,
I'll be the obnoxious one and say I question your company name - too hard to remember, off into issimisses. I'd take this as a time to adjust. (I do assume you can change the name on that book, but I don't know.) You didn't ask us about that as you were so keen on it. Which I understand.
ebrown p

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 07:28 pm
@shewolfnm,
I use GoDaddy for both buying domain names, and for simple hosting (the sites I don't have or want much traffic). I have always been happy with GoDaddy (I think that there are lots of companies that provide similar decent low-priced service.

I think that once someone owns a name-- it is damn near impossible to get it from them without paying them even if they aren't using it. Either pay their price or pick another name.

My opinion is that people worry too much about domain names. I have nothing more intelligent to say (other than that I can't imagine paying hundreds of dollars for a name).

Able2Know is a great site for the technology the content and the careful work that is done building a community. No one comes to Able2Know because of the name.

ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 07:50 pm
@ossobuco,
What's the beef with my comment? I'm not sure I'm right, but I think I am. Voice an argument, please.

Meantime, I wish shewolf very well.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 07:52 pm
@shewolfnm,
Wolfie,

Check your PMs. I sent you links and info from the hosting site I use for my own domain and website. Also sent you the available options for the name you want.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 08:31 pm
I do not like the new layout when it comes to seeing the PM notification.

I miss SO many because I just dont see the notification bar. For me, it falls right into the background.
I will go check it now.
Thank you Smile
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 08:31 pm
@ebrown p,
you dont think having your business name as the dot com name makes a difference?

hmm..
you may be on to something there.
shewolfnm

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 08:32 pm
@ossobuco,
me?
I do not have a beef with your comment. I hope I didnt say anything to offend you?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 08:33 pm
@ossobuco,
I understand what you mean. It is a different language, different accents, not spelled the way it would be if it were an american word.

but.... i adore it. Smile And it fits with my logo ideas.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 08:40 pm
@shewolfnm,
No, no, someone zeroed me and I thought, what? I was just thinking and posting. I'm all for your doing well, sw.

I'm not clear on good practice. I just know, at least in part, that snappy business names were useful to some of my pals and on occasion, us.

I wasn't making fun of you with the issimisses stuff - just saying, it's a hard learn.

Maybe this is a good time to adapt that. Memory is good. And maybe a logo or revolving pic for that memory.

Trust me, I'm no business whiz. And I surely don't mind if you disagree.

ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 08:44 pm
@ossobuco,
Just don't choose Exxon.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 08:52 pm
>snort

val-deeze does have a nice ring to it..
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 09:23 pm
@shewolfnm,
Have you seen this site? If this isn't yours, your customers will be very confused and will easily mistake this site for yours if they happen to type in .com instead of .org.

http://www.lindissima.com/

There is also a lindissima on Facebook, Flickr, Twitter, etc. If that isn't you, you'll have other opportunities for your customers to be confused.

For Osso -

lindissima = beautiful in Portuguese
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 09:33 pm
@Butrflynet,
Some food for thought:

From Google's language translator:

Found in dictionary: English > Portuguese.

beautiful listen [US] [’bju:təfəl]

adjective
1. belíssimo
2. bonito
3. belo
4. formoso
noun
1. gracioso
2. lindo

Related phrases

* beautiful sight
vista bonita
* very beautiful
muito bonita
* very beautiful!
que bonita!
* How beautiful!
Que lindo!

Web definitions

o delighting the senses or exciting intellectual or emotional admiration; "a beautiful child"; "beautiful country"; "a beautiful painting"; "a ...
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
0 Replies