Left or Right Handed???

maxsdadeo

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 12:21 am
I too am left handed.

And the reason you use scissors with your right hand Phoenix is that it is a hand specific tool
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 08:22 am
McKenzie -- My daughter and I are both lefties, PFK & my son are both righties. It is odd, I wonder about genetics, but I don't know. It is as Bandylu says, so many were "forced" to become right-handed that the record doesn't go very far back.

When I was in first grade I was made to keep my writing paper at the same angle as the right-handed kids. I have no idea why! But anyway, I write upside down, which is about the only way you can write left-handed when the paper is aimed like that.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 01:32 pm
I'm entirely right handed, right footed, and right eyed!

The left side of my body is only there to provide a rough sort of symmetry. My left hand stops my watch falling off my wrist.

Consequently - all my injuries have been right sided, too. Right arm, right knee, right eye!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 03:59 pm
margo - I feel your pain..
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 07:05 pm
I started off ambidextrous...when in school and around thrid grade, they challenged me to become more right handed, and eventually I have conformed, luckily since the world is truely right hand critical but, there are times I wish I had gone against authority. My handwriting isnt that wonderful and I think its because it was so hard for me to change over and adapt and my mind is still refusing to accept it...its wants more freedom. So, I voted right handed anyway.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 08:53 pm
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous! Very Happy
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 09:29 pm
Quinn? --- Truely Right Hand Critical???

Nah -- I've done perfectly fine without being right-handed. How 'bout you Phoenix?

Monger?? Darling, will you please change your avatar... it is sooo gross! But you are v. funny!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 09:34 pm
Oh, not now Pifka. I've finally gotten used to it - kinda.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 09:47 pm
It is gross, but I just read it is for his girlfriend. Who is his girlfriend?

Roger -- I like yours a lot. I think it is the sweet pink ear and the bits of... movement? Ratty has a sense of waving!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 09:51 pm
Piffka wrote:
Quinn? --- Truely Right Hand Critical???

Laughing

yeah, I suppose I am!!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 09:55 pm
You said the world was right-hand critical. I haven't found it so... at all, except for my foolish, old-fashioned first grade teacher. I'm trying to think of something that stymies me as a leftie... and cannot.

Amazing that your school would challenge you to change. Good grief... like you weren't pefect? What right (!) have they?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 10:02 pm
Doors with handles placed for right handed, driving on the right <here in US at least>, Walkways placed for right hand way, numerals on keyboard placed on right side, most computer stations situated for righties, etc etc...most is all about conforming to the right handed or 'right of way'
Actually, my parents protested the thought at first because the actual art of handwriting gave me such pain and I was being graded on the perfection of my handwriting in which this teacher had changed it to her liking, etc etc
However, after considering and communicating with previous teacher regarding the right of way in the world, the fact that I could actually do it and just needed to master it rather than switch hit...they gave in and figured on giving it a try. It all worked out in the end...I think Wink
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 10:15 pm
I don't think of doors or driving or walkways being for the right-handed... that would mean driving in Britain is geared for the left?

I read somewhere theirs is due to British knights & their sword scabbards on the left, the better to use them with their right hands... but we go to the right for another reason altogether.

I suppose that the keyboard is right-handed, but most people use both hands and all fingers anyway.

So anyway, I don't feel overwhelmed at all by the rightness of right. I suppose I am a little offended about the "evil" context of left, as "sinister" but heck, it adds to the mystique.

I also have a vague recollection that a larger percentage of children are now turning up left-handed... should Google that, I guess.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 11:06 pm
Piffka- I never had any problem. I used to hear about kids being "switched" to righties by parents or teacher, but, thankfully, this never happened to me. I write normally, not curled over, like some lefties!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 11:15 pm
Like I do... sadly, malformed and curled around like a claw. I wished for years that I didn't... luckily, it no longer bother me. My handwriting is good and not slanted backwards. People cannot figure out how I do it.

So Phoenix, you don't see the world as being right-hand critical either?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 11:21 pm
Piffka- Maybe because my parents never made it an issue, I did not grow up even being concerned about it. I know that their are some things that I do that are a bit awkward, but then again, I am sometimes awkward with things that have nothing to do with being left handed. Surprised
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 11:52 pm
I'm right-handed as is my daughter. My husband is left-handed, and my son was born left-handed, but he badly injured one of his fingers when he was about 6 years old and had to have his hand in bandages and a cast for months, so out of necessity, he became right-handed. He now does just about everything with his right hand but can also use his left pretty well...the only real problem is that his hand writing suffered tremendously because of the change. Have often thought he should be a doctor instead of going into law, but throughout most of his schooling and especially in high school and now college, everything must be done on a computer, and his computer skills are incredible. Guess all's turned out alright.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 08:47 am
He badly injured one of his fingers??? Oh no. Don't tell me, I'm afraid it might involve blood and sharp objects. <feeling weak>

He's in college, pre-law? Good for him. It CAN be an honorable profession!
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 08:40 pm
Piffka...
I will only tell you that it involved an old Caulkins boat trailer. The kind that tip back to let the boat slide off into the water. He sat on an empty trailer and the tilting part went up and his finger went inbetween the part that tilted up and the part that was underneath it. He had to have a couple of surgeries on his finger when he was little and whenever he wants to do it, he can have the rest of the cosmetic surgery done on it...It hasn't been high on his list of priorities.

He's almost done with his pre-law studies. He'll graduate this coming year, then it's into law school. It's a lifelong dream of his.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 11:07 pm
Yay for him. Only three more years after this one. Does he know which school he wants to go to?
0 Replies