Oh my C99 - stay away from the BBCode editor. Wink
C99

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 02:43 pm
@mismi,
lol
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 03:23 pm
Mind you, if there was a rewind button and you hit it, and you went back in time and then you forgot or your memory went back or retracted in time with you, how would you remember to hit the off button? You could go back in time to perpetuity or presumably to your beginning but what good would that do?
And even if you preprogrammed the button to stop at a precise time, how would you know what your mission was? Maybe you'd go back and make all the same stupid mistakes, and then what, live in a perpetual cycle of going back in time and doing it all over again...
Nah, I'd rather try and learn from the mistakes I've done once already and the few I've repeated all too often than go around in that vicious circle.
Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 03:37 pm
Back in the days when there was no Internet and anyone who had a PC used it mainly as a word processor or a calculator or to play (very primitive) games, Stephen King wrote a short story (I believe, if memory serves, that it was published in Yankee magazine) called something like "Word Processor of the Gods" (or something else Smile). In it he creates a machine that basically does what the keys you punch tells it to do. Example: type the name of a person you hate, then press 'delete' and that person ceases to exist in your life. Type out a scenario you would like to see come true, hit 'enter' and the scenario materializes.
C99

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 03:50 pm
@Ceili,
good point
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 03:56 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Stephen King rules at that kind of thing doesn't he? I am just too prosaic.
0 Replies

C99

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 04:02 pm
@Ceili,
Quote:
if there was a rewind button and you hit it, and you went back in time and then you forgot or your memory went back or retracted in time with you, how would you remember to hit the off button? You could go back in time to perpetuity or presumably to your beginning but what good would that do?

You basically said what George said
C99

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 04:58 pm
@C99,
my question is if you could rewind time
with keeping the same memory you had before rewinding time what
would you do??????????
Smile
C99

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 06:22 am
@C99,
no replys to that huh?
Smile
George

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 06:55 am
@C99,
Depends.

Let's ignore the petty inconveniences of matter and time.

Does the Rewinder "go back" with you?
Does it have a "Fast Forward"?
mismi

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 07:00 am
@George,
These are good questions. I think it should be something you can attach to your waist band like a walkman. And you are able to keep your conscious thought and memory. So yes...you can stop when you want - go back if you scew it up AGAIN and then fast forward when it starts getting boring. Very Happy This would be a good machine.
George

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 07:03 am
@mismi,
So when you rewind or fast-forward, are you outside time/space?
Or do you get to meet yourself?
mismi

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 07:07 am
@George,
Oh George...why must you complicate things? I think time and space should keep up with you. Would that solve the meeting yourself problem? I really don't want to do that - it sounds....messy.
George

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 07:33 am
@mismi,
Yeah, but I'd like to read the Riot Act to 27-year-old me.
What a jerk!
mismi

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 07:36 am
@George,
Well - there's a good point as well. I was an idiot in highschool. I learned early - well sort of....So would that have any repercussions on the future? Would it alter history significantly?

Did you ever see The Butterfly Effect with Ashton Kutcher? He never met himself - but every time he went back to change a bad thing that happened in his life...another bad thing would happen. Good movie.
George

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 08:48 am
@mismi,
I never saw The Butterfly Effect.
As you can probably tell, I have issues with time-travel stories.

Now we have the mess of what happed to the "previous" future.
Does that go on and a "new" future start at the moment of your meddling with
the past?
Which future does the fast-forward button take you to?
mismi

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 08:56 am
@George,
Maybe there should be a "save as" function - no - that would be a computer time machine...kind of like Stephen King's story.

No, the last future automatically overwrites any previous futures. You are just SOL if you don't like the route your new future takes. I mean, there has to be some risk somewhere right?
mismi

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 09:05 am
@mismi,
No...I am again, wrong. You could keep rewinding and redoing it I suppose...but there would not be more than one future ever. Everything begins anew where you start over again. If you have to rewind back further in your life at later time, it starts wherever you begin again - and you make the new future the best you can. hmmmm. Truly - it sounds exhausting.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 09:38 am
"Hey, Fred, how are you? Jeez, I thought you were dead."

"Dead? Of what?"

"Car accident. Oh, wait. That was a previous future."