Will the military ban smoking?

panzade

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 08:49 am
@High Seas,
Quote:
Obesity is a far more important predictor of actuarial present value of future medical costs than smoking - by an entire order of magnitude, base 10.

good post
mysteryman

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 04:53 pm
@hawkeye10,
Told you it wouldnt happen.
panzade

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 05:53 pm
@mysteryman,
you wuz right
0 Replies

Gun Plumber

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 09:04 am
@dyslexia,
the Australian Government has never stopped any military personell from smoking they took the easy way out and Banned Smoking of any Kind on or in Government owned Buildings we have now banned smoking in cars with Children in them Banned smoking in shopping Malls Resturants and sports Ovals and we are trying to ban smoking on public footpaths i hope the USA followes similar routes
0 Replies

Gun Plumber

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 09:09 am
@dyslexia,
the Australian Government took the easy way and Banned Smoking of any Kind in or on any government owned Building or Facility and removed all the Ashtrays we can not even go outside on the Grass and now they have Banned smoking in shopping malls and smoking around children at sports venues and in cars i gave up 14 years ago Retired Warrant Officer air force
djjd62

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 09:18 am
@Gun Plumber,
i see what you're saying, but how did the Australian Government deal with this situation
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 10:17 am
A ban in the U.S. Armed Forces against smoking wouldn't surprise me a bit.

I retired just about 10 years ago. By *that point*, the deglamorization of tobacco had reached such hysterical levels that anyone (once it was known they were one of "those people") had such annotated in their official records and was openly ostracized from any social circles or "appearance"-based duties. Now... mind you... that was almost 10 years ago (Air Force). I can only imagine where its at today.

I very much see the points that smoking is destructive; that it costs lives and billions of dollars (in this case, taxpayer dollars) so its difficult to defend. Even so, there's a danger here in dictating any personal habit that can be tied to health. Perhaps that's an unwarranted slippery-slope. Even so, I didn't like where it was headed.

So no, a complete ban and prohibition for your whole career wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Thanks
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 04:41 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

Quote:
Obesity is a far more important predictor of actuarial present value of future medical costs than smoking - by an entire order of magnitude, base 10.

good post

Crap post...she's a smoker so always defends smoking....anyway, since the military is also acting on height/weight limits it's irrelevant to the conversation.

Also, it isn't an either/or thing, so she's implying a false dichotomy...the military (or anything or anyone else) don't have to EITHER ban smoking OR work on obesity. It's possible to do both. Rolling Eyes

I suspect part of the reasoning behind a possible ban was to limit being sued by personnel exposed to second-hand smoke.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 07:59 pm
Cripes, if I now found myself in the armed forces in a war zone, I'd start smoking again. It's been 29 years...

Glad Gates just said no, at least re war zone.
0 Replies