Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 05:25 am
Does anyone know please if there are certain cds you cant riponto a Windows Media Player I have ripped loads onto my player but now have the annie lennox collection cd from the shops not a copy and the player wont seem to recognise it bought another cd at the same time and it ripped that so it cant be the player that is faulty. Very perplexing anyone an expert or know where i could find out the info. Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,470 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 05:30 am
@adippered,

maybe the annie lennox cd is damaged somehow.
can you listen to it?
Lightwizard

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 02:51 pm
@adippered,
All CD's are copy guarded but you should be able to make two personal copies before it kicks in. It might be that the Annie Lennox is on the SONY label? They have a habit of overdoing all their copy guards on their CD's and DVD's and on their hardware like a CD/DVD burner, either in a computer or separate component. So Windows Media Player might not be able to rip a copy, but Real Player, Quicktime, or perhaps SONIC software would be able to. If the Lennox is SONY, that kind of explains SONY not favoring WMP -- they're in stiff competition in the game industry and will often make their products incompatible with the other.

DVD movies are usually copy guarded so you can't cub to video tape or onto a disc. I have an old GO VHS/DVD combo which would copy DVD's onto VHS tape, but it didn't always work.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 02:59 pm
@adippered,
Some CDs come with junk data that tried to prevent you from using it at all on a computer's CD-ROM. This may be one of those cases of DRM (as Lightwizard suggested).
Lightwizard

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 12:24 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I looked it up, and Annie Lennox is a SONY/BMG artist -- so there you have it and it's likely that they used junk data to block storing or recording. One probably can only try purchasing the download and burning it to a CD-R or RW and forget trying to rip it onto the hard drive where they are afraid it can be manipulated with software to make multiple copies (for shame, would anybody really do that?). Laughing
adippered

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 01:55 am
@Lightwizard,
Thanks for all your replies guys I thought it was somehow this sort of problem yes you are right it is on Sony music label its annoying as i have purchased it and paid the cost quess i will just have to play it on my cd player. I just bought the Kasabian cd and that ripped and i have noticed that was a Sony too strange thing. I willtry and maybe download anothe player.
cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
adippered

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 01:57 am
@Region Philbis,
no its not damaged as i can listen to it on a cd player i thought the general rule as if u could listen to it on a player u could rip it.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 12:56 pm
@adippered,

i've ripped a rather large chunk of my CD collection, and have yet to come across one that wouldn't rip... dumb luck, i guess...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 07:03 pm
@adippered,
It's possible that one copy guard code (which knows you have already made your two copies) has some different junk data on it from a different period of time. SONY has gotten some bad press, user reviews (for instance) at CNet and Amazon that weren't flattering, and I've run into it selling SONY DVD and Blu-Ray players that will give users problems in recording with everything but their own camera tapes or discs. I did have to re-configure the machines to alleviate most of the problems. For instance SONY and SONY/BMG, of course, related but BMG may be imposing their copy guard on their recordings.

Have you tried to burn any CD's from your ripped library?
BillRM

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 07:10 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Googling as there is all kind of freeware on the net that will allow you to copy anything as the US copyright act concerning getting around silly DRM protection only apply to the US and the whole world is only a internet connection away.

Oh and there is always the analog hole to fall back on even if it is unlikely you can not find a program to deal with sonny DRM on the net.
0 Replies

adippered

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 04:31 am
@Lightwizard,
yes done that ok
Lightwizard

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 09:43 am
@adippered,
Try downloading the Lenox from the site to their application library and burn a disc from there. You'd have to pay for Sonic or other software if it didn't come with your computer -- ITunes, Napster, Amazon and the rest have their own software. If you are downloading it with US illegal software, it's likely that new online music and CD's are beginning to encode to block this software by a recognition code. Same reason you can't download images from IMDb unless subscribing to IMDbPro.
0 Replies