Science project: hatching snail eggs

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 05:44 pm
About a week ago Mo and I were weeding the yard and came across a stash of snail eggs. We relocated the eggs and surrounding habitat to a tuperware container hoping to watch them hatch. We've kept the habitat moist and warm trying to mimic the ideal conditions.

From what I've read a snail egg takes 4-6 weeks to hatch.

But I'm kinda starting to wonder --

Is there anyway to tell if the eggs absolutely will NOT hatch? I don't want to keep them around if they aren't going to hatch. Frankly, their little habitat is getting a bit smelly. I haven't changed out the plant matter -- should I? Or should I just let it decay?

Also, if I end up with 300 or so baby snails what on earth am I going to do with them?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 3,049 • Replies: 7
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 05:51 pm
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_l37bUNk14tw/SdhSXzE3GtI/AAAAAAAABfI/_8Jf9HPuPuw/s400/Burgandy+Snails+in+Garlic+Herb+Butter.jpg
boomerang

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 06:07 pm
Oh my.

I have a policy of not eating things born in my house.

Which has probably been limited to spiders and mice at this point, so, you know, not really a problem...

0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 06:16 pm
@djjd62,
deej, the eatin' kinda snails are great big and white and swim... (i got some, but they are safe)

Boom, i will ask the guy i get mine from, he will have an answer of some kind, he is into critters...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 06:24 pm
@djjd62,
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 06:32 pm
Thanks rockhead! That would be great!

I'm locking my snails up, JPB, don't even bother coming here.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 07:53 pm
@djjd62,
Erp
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 08:15 pm
note:

all snails known to me and my critter guy are midwesterner snails.

this advice may or may not apply to more sophisticated snails found on the coasts or in big cities...

are they in a gelatinous mass, and is it kinda clearish?

if yes, keep it moist at all times, and change the water as it gets stinky with similar temp water.

the snails should take care of the rest for you.
0 Replies