Classical music makes you over-spend at Restaurants

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 10:39 am
Over-Spending at Restaurant: a Classical Problem?

LONDON (Reuters) - If the next time you are in a restaurant you suddenly feel an inexplicable urge to shell out for a beguiling Bordeaux, it may just be the Beethoven talking.

A British scientific study shows that a bit of classical music can persuade diners to buy more fancy coffees, pricey wines and luxurious desserts.

Researchers at Britain's universities of Leicester and Surrey persuaded a restaurant to alternate silence, pop music and classical on successive nights over 18 days, Sunday's Observer newspaper reported.

On nights when the classics were playing -- a tape of Beethoven, Mahler and Vivaldi -- patrons spent more on dinner, especially on "luxuries" such as coffee, dessert, fine wines and starters.

Psychologist Adrian North, who led the research, said classical music makes people feel more cultured and sophisticated, and therefore more likely to shell out for the sort of items they associate with the high life.

In other research, North has shown that playing German or French music can persuade diners to buy wine from those countries, the paper said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,959 • Replies: 8
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 10:47 am
I wonder if there's any difference if the music is slow or fast. I recall that supermarkets often play slower music if they want you to linger over the selections (and buy more) and faster music if they want to hustle you out of there (they're about to close, or they're short on cashiers and the lines are getting long).
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 09:29 pm
Great glad to have read this...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 10:20 pm
All I know is that Toronto restaurants went through a Gypsy Kings kick for a while and all it made me want to do was leave...or vomit.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 04:49 am
Makes sense to me. Classical music creates an "ambiance" that exudes luxury and indulgence.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 07:30 am
I think the bottom line is that people are just too happy to let themselves be manipulated, but I'm in the service industry, so I know. Laughing Let me tell you, a good service person is far more effective in selling 'up' so to speak. The music, IMO, isn't really that important, but it should fit the atmosphere of the restaurant. In a trendy, upscale fusion-type restaurant, for example, classical music would do nothing to increase sales.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 08:29 am
I think if the entire experience is more rewarding and forfilling as a dining experience then let the music play
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 10:16 am
I read this in the paper, and found it rather peculiar. I go to a lot of classical/baroque music concerts - I don't like wine - and we tend to go for a piece of cake at a university area dive afterwards. The music does not put me in a mood to spend.

The TTC here plays classical music at a couple of subway stations that have problems with teen gangs. It makes them leave.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 10:39 am
Beth
Beth wrote "The TTC here plays classical music at a couple of subway stations that has problems with teen gangs. It makes them leave."

Beth, I love the genius who thought of that simple and practical solution.

BBB
0 Replies