Buying a web domain

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 08:26 am
Can anyone recommend somewhere reliable/cheap/good to buy a web domain with associated e-mail addresses & hosting space? We have a broadband connection with no ISP and I don't want to have to rely on Hotmail or similar for e-mail, and a web-page would be useful as well. Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,402 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 09:02 am
www.godaddy.com
$8.95 domain/year

Email hosting
Plan 1
1 mailbox
2MB storage
Includes Spam Xploder and Webmail FREE
(a $14.95 value)
$9.95/year

Plan 5
5 mailboxes
20MB storage each
Includes Spam Xploder and Webmail FREE
$49.95/year

There is a cheaper place to get domains now (you can get them for $5/year through me) but I recommend godaddy for it's low price (they were the lowest for the longest time), their stability (they are the fastest growing and largest resgistrar of the past few years) and their customer service.

But these email hosting prices do not include web page hosting.

I could host you with a better deal, but for the stability and customer service I recommend GoDaddy hands down.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 10:13 am
Thanks for the info Craven. The prices for email seem very reasonable and sometimes the cheapest is not always the best value...

The web-hosting is for my housemate. He's a CG animator and wants to publish some of his portfolio to attract work. What kind of prices can you (or others) offer for this kind of thing? I'll ask him how much space he wants (he has DVD-Rs full of his work!). How does it all work with regards to the site being hacker-resistant etc etc. I know little about such matters.

By the way I would be more than happy to consider hosting from you as some small recompense for the beautiful thing that is A2K.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 10:16 am
CDK
you have $5.00 now wow! how'd you get that?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 10:17 am
Well let me give you the run down:

For email only hosting there is no way I could be competitiv. A few dollars a month is not much difference to me and those companies make money by having hundreds of thousands of accounts.

If hosting came into the picture I could be very competitive but I have limitations and strengths.

If you find out exactly what he wants (how much space, how much bandwidth) I can either make an offer or point you to a good host.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 10:18 am
husker wrote:
CDK
you have $5.00 now wow! how'd you get that?

rackshack.com has the lowest prices on the net for domains and SSL certificates. The domains for $5 launched a few weeks ago.

I do not have the ability to sell domains for 5/year but what I'd do is simply not tack on any profit so my price is the rackshack price.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 10:21 am
amazing!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 10:22 am
CDK do you have a hosting site up yet?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 10:25 am
I have the servers ready but I do not have a site describing the services I will offer yet as I might end up working with another company and A2K work has had me pulling long (24 straight hours coding, I think that's my record) stretches.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 10:26 am
yer a coding guru!!! Wink

hmm err - you could always use mine Embarrassed
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 10:26 am
Nah, I just need to rush the A2K portal out.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 10:28 am
don't rush - errors can occur - be safe and smart!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 10:30 am
Errors DID occur, hence the all nighters. But it wans't due to rushing, the portal came with a bug that was a major pain.

Anywho, it's almost ready.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 07:17 am
Craven - Housemate needs about 20MB he says. Not sure about the bandwidth thing - does that affect how long it takes for someone to open/download the pages (seperate from their own line-speed)?

Sorry for being thick. Does the $8.95 above mean that we could get our own domain eg. www.grandduke.com or would it be a sub-domain eg. www.hostdomain.com/grandduke or www.grandduke.hostdomain.com? And the email addresses would be something like [email protected]?

Thanks again for your help.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 11:27 am
Grand Duke,

The 8.95 a year is only for a domain name. No hosting or email involved. But if you buy a domain name then yes, your email would be [email protected]

Basically it's like this, buying a domain name is like buying a phone number. But now you need a phone (the host).

Bandwidth is the amound of data you can transfer. For example if you have a file that is 1 MB and you have 500 MB of transfer you can have 500 downloads of that file. Think of the bandwidth as the phone's "minutes".

Based on the space requirements I can host you very cheaply. Send me a PM if you are interested.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 12:24 pm
I would be interested too in the future to have my own domain name and a site hosted by you - thanks for A2K and all that.

I know you recommended this some time ago as a good option.

What would buying my domain name through you and then hosting cost me? I would want it for images as ?you know
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 12:30 pm
Can you PM me the details of what you'd want to use it for, how much traffic you'd expect etc?
0 Replies

whatis1029

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 07:56 am
or if you have an aversion to spending much money find a free dynamic DNS service that allows A records and optionally NS records:

widge.org
(outstando.com)

ex: Edit (Moderator): Link removed. Do not post your links.
or

edit by me:

I have a link to a webhost that's $2.95/mo for 100megs/1000megs xfer and some info on free sudomains and the like. So as not to violate any forum rules (apparently again) then email this autoresponder for the information: [email protected] or private message me

or ask one of the friendly forum moderators. I imagine they have a wealth of knowledge they'd be willing to share.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 10:06 am
guess I'm gunna have to become more agressive on my pricing
0 Replies