Learning to sing

stuh505

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 11:52 pm
How does one learn to sing well? I would like to try...but I know nothing about it. Is this something that's practical, or is it just one of things...certain people are born being able to do, and if you can't already do it, it's pointless to try? I'd like to sing with other people, too...what are the options, after you're out of school? Suggestions welcome.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 1,745 • Replies: 12
No top replies

solipsister

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 11:54 pm
@stuh505,
me me me me me works for me
aidan

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 11:56 pm
@stuh505,
You have to have an ear - you have to be able to hear the note and if you're in key or succeeding in hitting the note when you sing it.
If you can't hear that (and some people can't) I don't think you can be trained to hear that.
But if you can hear it, you can be taught or trained around the rest.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 06:40 am
@stuh505,
Hi stranger. Nice to see you, stuh.

Why not take a few voice lessons?

0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 06:40 am
@solipsister,
Smile
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 09:36 am
@stuh505,
Singing is definitely something that's practical, and that you learn mostly by doing it. If you're out of school, you could check if one of the university choruses in your area are open to non-members. (Some of the ones in my area are.) Or, if you like church music, you could join a church chorus. The most effective way of learning, but also the most expensive, is to take singing lessons.
mismi

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 09:52 am
@stuh505,
Hi stuh505

I was a voice major and love to sing. I think most people that take voice lessons start at that point - loving to sing. Whether you have natural talent or not, a voice teacher will be able to help you sing better. If you have natural talent you will progress quickly...if you do not have natural talent you will get better.

Pitch problems are an issue with many folks but you can be taught to listen to and correct a pitch...it takes practice but as with anything - practice makes - well if not perfect - much, much better - especially to those who get to listen.

If you want to sing - you should find a teacher and take a few lessons. It will give you an idea of whether you are interested enough to continue. And most of the voice teachers I had were pretty good about being honest about my talent...but the one thing they had in common was their desire to encourage my desire to sing well.
Good Luck!
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 09:55 am
@Thomas,
Church choir is a great place to improve your singing. It teaches you to listen to the folks around you and that is such a huge part of singing well. And as you say Thomas - much cheaper than voice lessons. But it will strengthen your voice and that is very important. Choir directors are great at teaching their choirs about breath control and support from the diaphragm. Great advice Thomas.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 01:05 pm
Good to see you back, Stuh.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 03:37 pm
youtube has offering free singing lessons:
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 03:56 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azULVliHn6Y
0 Replies

strawberry pie

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 04:15 pm
I've been singing since first grade and I love singing, though I'm a bit shy...

To be honest, singing is not a thing you can do for a living. I mean, not in your situation, because you obviously haven't sung before... I guess pro singers were born with the dream to sing and they just worked hard for making it come true.
I strongly believe that being born with a good voice is necessary. But not always... There are some people who think that they're a total crap and then somebody tells them they're good.
But if you have the confidence that you CAN actually sing and if you enjoy it, there is no reason for you not to give it a try.
By the way, singing is not something sooo much different from other hobbies. It's like doing a sport but with your voice Very Happy
Plus, nobody expects a Mariah Carey coming out of your mouth, right? :]
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 04:35 pm
Learning to sing in what sense?
I am now (and still being) classically trained, and honestly it was the HARDEST process of my life. But that's not to put you off, as long as nothing is hurting and you are not 'forcing' your voice then technically you can sing in any manner which you enjoy or like the aesthetic of.

My main word of warning is that there are A LOT of singing teachers out there which will not teach you any technique. Be really really careful where you get lessons, they will be expensive, and if you are trying to learn technique over the internet or from a book then be careful, because it is easy to develop bad habits when you think you are forming good ones.
Namely because, you cannot 'see' what you are doing, and can never hear yourself from the outside.
0 Replies