Yahoo Mail

Pitter

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 05:43 am
Routinely now in the early hours of the morning say six am I'm getting "this page is currently unavaile-Yahoo" when I try to check my Yahoo mail. What's up with this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,324 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 05:45 am
I have Yahoo mail, and I don't have this particular problem. Have you tried refreshing the page? Sometimes when I get one of those "this page cannot be accessed", I refresh the page, and then I can get in.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 06:57 am
This is not the usual "can not be accessed" warning in black print on white ground this is a specific Yahoo page with "back to Yahoo" etc. however I'll try refresh next time. Thanks,
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 07:29 am
I use yahoo mail and haven't had that problem. Could it be related to being in South America?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 12:16 pm
I use yahoo as well and no problems here either.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 05:45 pm
Ok thanks all. The mystery continues.
0 Replies

Eastree

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 02:00 am
I have seen the problem
It has somehting to do with their cookies, to start. I am in a very different time zone from the States, and my login will expire sometimes very early because my time stamp is 7 hours later than the cookie's since it's timed from the Yahoo server. But there are times I have trouble accessing my mail even when I'm already in it -- for eaxample, I'll go from a message back to the in-box and I'll get the same error as Pitter. I'm not sure why, but it usually clears up in a few minutes. Refreshing never helps.
0 Replies

arkieforester

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 07:26 pm
Only Yahoo Mail is Inaccessible
Hi folks. I found this website from doing a Google search on Yahoo Mail log-in problems. I hope someone here knows what is going on. The auto-generated responses from Yahoo CusSer are useless.

Most of my internet works great! Even Hotmail works fine these days. Only the Yahoo Mail fails. The secret answer to the account failed. There is no way to get past ID and password trying to log in. Same for Yahoo Groups. But not for Yahoo Messenger. That is now my entry portal. I can log in there, and IF I have mail, click on "Go to Yahoo Mail" and there I go.
There is no access to "Account Info" to change password, etc., taking me to a 404 page.

I subscribed to Spy Sweeper, ran it, found nothing remarkable. Norton Antivirus doesn't find a thing.

Any ideas? I appreciate any time spent looking at my post.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 08:25 pm
Have you tried to reset your password?
0 Replies

arkieforester

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 09:24 am
I reset password twice, thinking maybe I had a keystroke trojan reporting my passwords. The second reset was from a computer at work. The only way to do that has been through "forgot password" at the log-in page in Messenger. The regular route fails because my secret question answer isn't accepted now (last four of SS number). I was auto-issued new passwords anyway by just giving them my alternate email addy through "forgot password". New passwords didn't help, just delaying access until the system accepts the change. Then I resorted to creating new accounts (not just new profiles), rejoining my Yahoo groups, etc., which got my account suspended a few days from excessive change. The new accounts? Same problem from any computer, anywhere. No log-in except through YM. On top of that, there is no log-out once in. I have to kill the page.

I got an auto-generated email from Yahoo CusSer which says I can supply personal info to them and they will reset my secret question answer, but they don't give an address to send it. Hitting reply just generates another copy of the same advice.

If I was willing to give up my groups I'd just abandon Yahoo altogether forever. I've learned not to become too dependent on services with no personal accountability, no real people at the helm. Maybe the pay-services are worth it if they are responsive.

The latest DoS attack on Yahoo is where this all began. I didn't find news on it until I had already begun making changes in reaction to assuming I was the one under attack. If those attacks persist I doubt Yahoo will survive anyway.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 10:17 am
Any chance that a DDos is orginating from your machine? I ask because it could happen without you being aware of it. A hacker could have a bot on your machine that he triggers remotely.
0 Replies

arkieforester

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 07:46 pm
The exact same problem occurs at work and on a library computer, even with new accounts not tried on my home PC. I really think it is a Yahoo problem, but apparently there is no way to discuss it with them. Even on a secure PC behind a real firewall I can't get into any Yahoo account, but could before the DoS, and still can log in to Hotmail, ICQ, etc there and at home. I created a new Yahoo account while at work, but couldn't log back in on it. I decided to try the last new one here at home, same problem. Surely other people out there are experiencing similar problems, assuming Yahoo is just offline.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 08:36 pm
Your firewall sounds like the problem.
0 Replies

arkieforester

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 09:18 pm
On this pc I use Zonealarm, which I have often turned off briefly to test with and without, with no difference. At work we have Cisco IOS firewall and a dual server setup that quarantines any email from the internet, downloads, etc, until examined for virus, tojans, embedded stuff, allowing only a "snapshot view" of email pages like the old Magellan viewer. My daughter's pc has the same problem, so do the public library computers concerning Yahoo. I rarely use the system there because of the rediculous delays in send/receive, but they had to take tough steps to keep it working.
Really has me stumped. I've run several trojan horse sniffers, Norton antivirus updated yesterday, deleted TEMP files, logs, cleared the ghost backup, everything I can think of. I'm hoping ya'll have more to try. Thankyou for you efforts, Craven
0 Replies

MisterEThoughts

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 06:21 pm
i suggest you all use hotmail it's really nicely put together
0 Replies