Saw: counter rotating blade technology

farmerman

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 08:40 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:
You probably purchased it for a purpose other than what it was designed to do. You have already mentioned that it was not a good scroll saw
I purchased my Rotozip based upon trhe uses they demonstrated in their infomercials. Remember them showing how they werecutting out perfect square plugs in wood? They were also making dutchmen holes with one. I think that It was a fake demo.

I agreed that the only use Id ever put to a rotozip would be drywall. Most all of my house is old time horsehair based plaster with a fairly thick skimcoat. (Trying to find someone to work on plaster walls is like finding a Conestoga Wagon wheelwright).

2Paks-do you use a hole cutter drill bits on tile blocks?
2PacksAday

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 09:48 pm
@farmerman,
Yes, I have some really nice "hole saw bits"....all mine are 1 3/8, that is the standard size needed for water fittings....hot tub {jacuzzi} decks is where I usually use them. There was a company in AZ, that we bought these from....I'm thinking they were like 75.00 each...but top of the line diamond cutters. I've seen some of those cheaper ones at Lowes and such....I've read a few tile guys say that they were good for maybe 4 holes...but at that price..might be something to look into for a small job.

In the picture though, I have a very tiny wet saw out of frame....it's in the next photo....and I usually just use it and my nippers, since my hole saws....are expensive....time consuming...and I don't even think they would work on any of those pipes.

No kidding, I would be glad to help you out with your plaster...that and I would love the chance to meet some Amish folk...but the miles are many. Plastering is a dying art, and I don't get to use those skills so much anymore, the last plastering I did was for myself....well and sometimes on the swimming pools, when they need something fixed or just built....but that is a different kind of plastering.
farmerman

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 09:56 pm
@2PacksAday,
2Packs-Did you ever see the "horsehair plaster" undercoat, (similar to the perlite stuff I guess they use today, unless they all use blueboard).
The guys that do our plaster always ALWAYS look like theyre covered in flour and they track plaster dust all over. none of them wear masks and they all smoke and are in their early 60's
2PacksAday

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 10:24 pm
@farmerman,
Yeah, we still have a few antebellum homes here....then not a great deal was built for several years....reconstruction era....until the 1890's...then there was a housing boom. I've worked in quite a few of those monsters, so I've pretty much been exposed to just about everything from the past....at least Missouri styles anyway.

The pool guys are similar, pool plaster is put on like soup, very sloppy, so they are more sloped up than dusty...but the mixing guy, who is usually outside...fits your image to a T. The last one...mixing guy...that I worked with looked like a giant leprechaun sprinkeled in flour.

Marble dust and perlite are both tough on the lungs.
0 Replies

jeeperjohn

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 04:09 am
@Rockhead,
Craftsman had a similar tool for a while but they pulled it from the market. I'm not sure why but I think I heard they were making too many warranty replacements.
0 Replies