HAVE YOU HAD YOUR TETRIS BOOSTER SHOT?

Setanta

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 06:23 am
Tetris is 25 years old today. Go over to Google and have a look at their decorations. The brain child of a Russian computer programmer, the royalties originally went to the Soviet Union, and not to him. Nintendo quickly and shamelessly ripped him off, and Tetris became one of the biggest selling games of all time. Alexey Pajitnov gets all the credit and all of the royalties these days, though.

There's some big celebration about some kind of war thing goin' on today, but don't let anyone try to fool you. The big news is the Tetris 25th anniversary.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,506 • Replies: 12
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 06:31 am
@Setanta,
I loved Tetris!

One of my best friends in high school was heavily into computer games. Shooter types mostly. He'd always want to go to the arcade and I'd get bored watching him and so didn't want to go. He convinced me that I'd LOVE Tetris. Took a bit to get it (I was utterly new to computer games) but then I quickly became addicted. I was pretty good for a while there (and he managed to construct a reliable arcade companion).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 06:37 am
The first time i played Tetris, it was on a computer that a friend had inherited when he moved into a new house. I went over to show him how to use the computer, and to see if it were usable (it was) and it had Tetris on it. At two o'clock the following morning, he told me to get the hell out and go home.

Tetris is very addictive.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 06:38 am
Soz, go do a Google search for anything. They've got a Tetris motif today.
chai2

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 07:15 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Soz, go do a Google search for anything. They've got a Tetris motif today.

cute!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 07:24 am
The Girl has a great Tetris addiction story . . . but i'll let her tell it, if she is so inclined.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 07:30 am
loved tetris on the original gameboy, and nintendo's rip off dr. mario
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 08:49 am
@Setanta,
I was horribly/wonderfully addicted to Tetris.

It got to the point that I had to throw the cartridge into the box I kept the vacumn cleaner in, in the back of a crowded closet. If I wanted to play Tetris, I'd have to pull the carton out of the closet, pull out the vacumn and then dig through the packing material at the bottom. It wasn't always enough of a disincentive. Addicted.

I'm quite fond of the version on Facebook. I don't spend hours on it, but I still get a huge kick (and high scores of course Laughing ) out of it when I play.

( I just checked - I've still got the gameboy and the cartridges in a cabinet that's a bit awkward to get at - still there for a gaming emergency Wink )
farmerman

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 10:10 am
@ehBeth,
What was the name of the song that Andrew Lloyd Weber wrote about Tetris?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 10:36 am
@ehBeth,
Where can you play Tetris on facebook, ehbeth?
Shapeless

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 10:56 am
My personal best in Tetris, back in the day, was going from Level 1 to Level 12 on nothing but tetrises (tetri?). I also didn't go on many dates as a kid.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 6 Jun, 2009 02:03 pm
@CalamityJane,
CJane - the application at FB is called Tetris Friends.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2009 10:35 pm
@ehBeth,
Ah, thank you!
0 Replies