Are most home raffles legit?

etan

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 01:45 pm
Hm, I tried posting this earlier but it seems to have disappeared, possibly because there were two links to news stories/recent examples of what I'm referring to? I'll try again without them.

Basically I'm just curious if anyone has bought tickets in a recent home raffle (there seem to be tons of them) and if you did how you know it was legitimate.

In San Francisco right now there's a "dream home" being raffled off that some friends of mine pitched in and bought tickets for; but it's being done through a local non-profit, whereas others seem just out of nowhere. There was another story I found about the "sad truth" of home raffles that essentially said most folks go about raffling the wrong way, and fail miserably: which is unfortunate, because in a lot of situations they're doing it to unload an expensive property they can't manage.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,387 • Replies: 4
No top replies

JPB

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 02:02 pm
@etan,
SIL looked into selling her home by raffle and found out that our state only allows bonafide nonprofits to legally hold a raffle. I imagine it's different in different places and, as in all things, there will be crooks and honest folks involved in the process.
etan

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 02:07 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
SIL looked into selling her home by raffle and found out that our state only allows bonafide nonprofits to legally hold a raffle.

Ahhh...I believe you are right, and the same goes I think for California, which is probably why most of their raffles have been fairly successful.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 09:06 pm
I had a friend raffle off her place in New York. I don't know if it is still legal. This was some years ago.
0 Replies

etan

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 01:34 pm
Actually, they're not only legal in CA, they're lucrative -- or so I have subsequently discovered. I bought tickets to the sf dream home raffle, which ends tomorrow...kind of interesting. There's supposed to be even more of these things starting up in CA soon. Probably a trend due to the housing market.
0 Replies