Recession belt tightening & your personal spending priorities.

msolga

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 05:35 am
Have your spending habits changed a little, a lot, or not at all since times got tougher & less secure?
What aren't you spending on as much, or anymore?
What are your spending priorities these days?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 3,073 • Replies: 25
No top replies

msolga

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 05:45 am
Me, I haven't used my credit card (apart from my monthly newspaper subscription deductions) since about last October. I'm very proud of myself! If I can't pay for it (what ever "it" is) I can't have it.

I had to renew both my house & car insurances recently. For the first time in ages I took the time to shop around for the best deal for both.

I'm buying fewer books & videos. Now's the time to make my way through what I've stock-piled over the past few years ... & use my local library.

I'm buying a second hand computer, rather than buying a new one on credit.

In a nutshell, I'm thinking a lot more before I spend. Do I really need that? (Whatever it is). This can involve small, everyday purchases to the "biggies". It's quite an interesting & novel experience, living within my means! Wink Very Happy

What about you?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 06:15 am
Sadly, I must now avert my eyes & walk very quickly past shoe shop windows! (an area of real weakness, where I have often been known to lose my head! Wink )

And indulgences of boxed sets of some television drama that sounds interesting ... No, no, no! (But it's hard!Sad )

Interestingly, in the area of food, I am probably spending more, rather than less. I'm not quite sure how this happened. I'll enjoy regular little indulgences like good cheeses, good coffee beans, expensive cuts of meat ... & of course, no skinting on the cat's food! I guess, if I can't indulge myself in the big stuff, then I'll have the best on the smaller, less budget-breaking stuff.
dlowan

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 07:04 am
@msolga,
Let's just say I'm trying.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 07:07 am
We're getting off the credit wagon, too. Difficult at first, but ultimately very good for our financial health.

Also difficult for the economy at first, because I suspect that millions of other people are doing the same thing after being jacked around by their credit card companies.
dadpad

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 07:17 am
little or no change to spending habits here.

we are fortunate enought to be about to payout a medium sized loan. (Last interest bill was .39 cents)
we are now looking forward to being able to spend a little.

To be honest this credit crunch thingy has been a godsend to us. Interest rates are at an all time low. Ruddbucks keep arriving in the mailbox. I have bought a new fridge and microwave. mumpad took herself to the bigsmoke for and saw a few shows (comedy festival)

so yeah its all good.
msolga

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 07:21 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Let's just say I'm trying.

you can do it, Bunny! Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 07:26 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
We're getting off the credit wagon, too. Difficult at first, but ultimately very good for our financial health.

Has this impacted greatly on your quality of life (the everyday things) DrewDad?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 07:28 am
pay the credit cards every month, and use cards that offer bonuses, air mile points we can exchange for gift cards or store coupons, or a grocery card that exchanges points for groceries
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 07:32 am
@dadpad,
Quote:
To be honest this credit crunch thingy has been a godsend to us. Interest rates are at an all time low. Ruddbucks keep arriving in the mailbox. I have bought a new fridge and microwave. mumpad took herself to the bigsmoke for and saw a few shows (comedy festival)

so yeah its all good.

Good for you, dp! (I know it was pretty tough going for a while there.)

I received my $900 Ruddbucks yesterday! (Stimulous package stuff, to those of you who don't live in Oz. $900 from the federal government.) I was so grateful - & surprised! I wasn't expecting it & I certainly needed it! Phew!
djjd62

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 07:34 am
@msolga,
damn, we're getting a tax rebate thingy from our government, but not until next year, bastards
msolga

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 07:42 am
@djjd62,
Will the tax rebate be based on tax paid, djjd, or will everyone get the same amount like in Oz? We've had department stores sales targetting all these "gifts" of $900 floating around the place! Pretty strange situation, really ...
djjd62

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 07:51 am
@msolga,
the government is restructuring a sales tax, they're giving, a $1000 to families (paid over 3 payments) and $300 to single people (again paid over 3 payments), basically as a way to offset some of the changes
msolga

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 07:54 am
@djjd62,
Ah, I see. Looks like our government has been very generous with its (borrowed) money!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 07:55 am
Most definitely, we’ve changed. My husband has been out of work with no severance or unemployment because he was paid by commissions and his salary was based on a draw so we had to tighten things. We do have a good cushion of money put away (and fortunately with the majority in a savings vehicle) so we certainly can survive, but would like to use this money to buy a house " we currently own a condo and with two kids need a bit more room.

Some of things we have done:
Changed phone service to lower our monthly rates " also changed some additional perks we had on our phone service, cable and internet " just for the minimum services we need.
I’ve used a program offered from my kids’ school that on most of your every day purchases you get a percentage back to buy for school items (tuition, books, lunches, etc.) It is really neat " you “buy” a gift card for various stores, restaurants, movies, etc and you get a percentage back " I use this pretty much for my regular grocery shopping, gas, and places like Walmart and gift cards for what else, but gifts.
I use mygrocerydeals.com to find items on sale, print coupons and plan my shopping ahead of time.
We rarely go out to eat " when we do I use a gift card from above and often times my kids get free kids meals at restaurants for completing x number of minutes each month or reading from their school.
I get passes from the library to go to museums and other events.
I am looking and just signed up for a website called freecycle " people put things they want and/or donate in their area and it is all free.
I use coupons for almost everything. When I need to buy an item (especially a bigger ticket item), I do an internet search to see if I can find a coupon.
msolga

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 08:07 am
@Linkat,
Big changes, Linkat.

No unemployment benefits. That's tough. I hope he finds work before too long.

I certainly can relate to the bargain hunting/finding the best price situation.
I have become a great bargainer, too! Surprisingly most traders are quite open to (polite) bargaining & will often give a discount.
Linkat

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 08:11 am
@msolga,
Fortunately he has two interviews this week - he should be at one now as we type.
msolga

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 08:17 am
@Linkat,
Then fingers crossed for him, Linkat! For both of you! Smile
FreeDuck

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 09:22 am
Off the credit wagon here, too. Cash or debit. I even opened a second checking account where I put money just for online purchases -- for security reasons. I buy the kids clothes at a consignment shop in the richie rich neighborhood. I don't buy myself clothes. We do Costco for the necessities like laundry detergent, toilet paper, paper towels, kids lunch snacks, etc... with the coupons they provide it can be quite a savings. I don't drive at all on my work from home days. I walk to the grocery store and only buy what I can carry back. We canceled our great American vacation but will still do some camping in state parks on the cheap. The kids need new bikes so I scour craigslist and eBay for something used. Cut the cable, switched to Vonage, and debating whether to sell one car.

Tough times.
chai2

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 09:33 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Fortunately he has two interviews this week - he should be at one now as we type.

Exciting!

Good Luck Mr. L
0 Replies