An a2k experiment: What is our favorite song?

aidan

Tue 26 Jan, 2010 02:30 pm
@aidan,
river - joni mitchell
panzade

Tue 26 Jan, 2010 06:59 pm
@aidan,
that song tears me up
0 Replies

ailsa1234

Thu 28 Jan, 2010 07:12 pm
Let Me Love You
Youtobe-Video Music
aidan

Wed 24 Feb, 2010 03:41 am
@ailsa1234,
ailsa - I like your name. That's pretty. Your signature is wonderful (and true) too.

This is the last gift my father will ever give me. This song is on the cd he left in his car cd player when I had to drive it to the hospital where he was having a heart attack. I'd listened to and shared so much music with my father - he introduced me to music before I could understand words- but for some reason, I'd never listened to Don Williams before that day.
And I was just struck dumb, except to ask - 'Who is THIS?! What an amazing voice!'
The whole cd is amazing = it's a live version of his greatest hits and includes commentary in his amazing speaking voice as well - it's a treasure. I've been listening to it nonstop since that day.

His voice soothes me and his intonation and pronunciation remind me of my dad (who was also a native Texan and spoke as such until the day he died- despite having lived in New Jersey the last forty-something years of his life) Laughing .

The most peaceful and beautiful love song I think I've ever heard:

panzade

Wed 24 Feb, 2010 08:07 am
@aidan,
The Gentle Giant of country music is an awesome singer/songwriter. We do his "Tulsa Time" almost every night.
aidan

Wed 24 Feb, 2010 08:53 am
@panzade,
I can't believe I'd never heard him before - particularly since my dad apparently LOVED him- and we listened to music together all the time but usually Willie and Waylon and Jim Reeves, etc., etc...
You're right - he's is an absolutely awesome singer/songwriter - in fact my very favorite right now. I just love everything I hear him do. And I didn't even know that he wrote Living on Tulsa Time and that Eric Clapton got that from him.

If you like him, you should get this cd - it's called 'An Evening with Don Williams'- like I said - it's a gem and something from my dad that I will always treasure.

Another new favorite by him:

panzade

Wed 24 Feb, 2010 04:00 pm
@aidan,
Your discovery of the CD in the car was very touching.
aidan

Sun 21 Mar, 2010 05:08 pm
@panzade,
Yes, he gave me everything I ever needed.

this song reminds me of him too - we were always driving somewhere- he loved roadtrippin'. I love the words and harmony here:
aidan

Fri 26 Mar, 2010 02:49 am
@aidan,
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Fri 26 Mar, 2010 04:17 am
@panzade,
Well I appreciated the Birdland song panzade. Love dem Manhattan Transfers. Very Happy
aidan

Wed 31 Mar, 2010 09:23 am
@tsarstepan,
I love this song and I love it even more reading the words in Spanish: My ipod lost charge today in the car and I had to listen to a cassette- can you believe I have a car with a cassette tape player? So anyway the only cassette tape I had that I wanted to listen to was the cassette tape I made to listen to when I had my son and this was one of my favorite songs then. I thought to myself - 'Poor kid- coming into the world listening to something like 'When you're alone - you're alone- but the melody is beautiful and might as well tell the truth from the beginning.
I love this song and I love it even more reading the words in Spanish:sola - it all makes sense now:

I LOVE this song - and I love the words even more in Spanish - 'Sola'- beautiful!

[youtube]

aidan

Fri 30 Apr, 2010 03:12 pm
@aidan,
Lumina - Joan Osborne- I think the combination of these words, the concept and her voice on this song create a simple musical masterpiece:

0 Replies

aidan

Fri 9 Jul, 2010 12:55 pm
@panzade,
For George and Daddy - 'Let me tell you that I love you and I think about you all the time...'
aidan

Sun 11 Jul, 2010 12:10 am
@aidan,
I forgot about this song until someone just mentioned a movie by the same title:

0 Replies

aidan

Mon 20 Sep, 2010 03:36 am
And I love this one:

0 Replies

aidan

Mon 20 Dec, 2010 02:04 pm
With or Without You

0 Replies

DrewDad

Mon 20 Dec, 2010 02:43 pm
0 Replies

aidan

Sun 27 Mar, 2011 03:13 pm
I believe in happy endings:

0 Replies

aidan

Thu 31 Mar, 2011 03:53 pm
One of my favorite songs by one of my favorite vocalists:

0 Replies

aidan

Thu 31 Mar, 2011 04:00 pm
Well, this is definitely not my favorite version of a favorite song, but apparently they've gotten rid of most of Bob's versions of his songs on youtube.
I do love this song - and this is the best cover of it I found:

0 Replies