Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2009 04:02 pm
Would anyone mind answering a few questions below, regardless of if you class yourself as musical.
The 'results' aren't going to be of any importance, just interesting.
I'm reading a book, musicophillia, by Oliver Sacks. Until then hadn't really much idea of the vastly differing ways in which people perceive music, obviously certain people are described as having a 'musical ear' but I doubt many of us know what this actually means or what implications it has.

1. When you hear a song in your head, how vivid is it?
a single melody line? Melody with harmony? All instrumental parts? Weak or vivid? Can you recall a whole work, or does it tend to be snippets?
2. Do you class yourself as musical? Play an instrument/sing?
3. Do you feel the need to listen to music constantly, or only when in certain moods?
4. Which genre of music do you prefer?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,716 • Replies: 4
No top replies

aidan

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2009 06:27 pm
Quote:
a single melody line? Melody with harmony? All instrumental parts? Weak or vivid? Can you recall a whole work, or does it tend to be snippets?

If I know it well, I hear it very vividly, note for note - I hear the melody, but always find myself humming the harmony.
More often than not, I find that my fingers play the notes (of the right hand- or melody) on my steering wheel as I'm driving or on the table where I'm sitting.
Quote:
Do you class yourself as musical? Play an instrument/sing?

Yes, I am musical. I play an instrument and sing
Quote:
Do you feel the need to listen to music constantly, or only when in certain moods?

I listen to music a good part of every day, except when I'm reading or writing - and then I need silence. If music is playing, I'm too distracted by it to read or write.
Quote:
Which genre of music do you prefer?

Classical to play - and most any genre to listen to (except opera- although there are a few I like).
I couldn't choose a particular genre as a favorite - but I do like melody and harmony and most traditional instruments moreso than dissonance and anything like trance or club or techno - I find the genres that employ those trends and methods too repetitive and boring- and actually annoying.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2009 09:26 pm
A lot depends upon the music, some songs I hear in my head are complete with background musicians and singers, sometimes, especially if I am trying to remember a part of a some music I play, I may only hear the notes I am seeking.

2.[url][/url] Do you class yourself as musical? Play an instrument/sing?
Yes.
Yes. 12-String guitar
Yes.

3. Do you feel the need to listen to music constantly, or only when in certain moods?
Sometimes I HAVE to have something playing in order to get rid of something else that has decided to play in my head. (Most of the time, that music is the same eight to ten bars over and over. I am often awakened by such music.)
Sometimes I seek silence. I love not having to listen to some radio emitted crap. I especially like having some music on while I cook.

I like a lot of classical music, but some leaves me cold. My Pandora Stations are filled with cellists and pianists, but I also really enjoy listening to authentic folk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxRYLcShzdU&feature=relatedmusic, bluegrass and field songs (American) but also Tibetan chants, African ceremony songs and Amerindian drumsongs.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2009 11:56 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,

Quite vivid from a musical standpoint - not so much the lyrics

Yes/Yes

Much more often then only mood moments, but less than constantly

This will depend on the mood I'm in. I like a very wide variety of genres
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2009 08:26 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
Vivid if I know it well.
Yes. I play guitar, although not very well. I like to sing.
Let's say frequently. I drive 20 miles to work, whic gives me the opportunity to play CDs a lot.
Classic rock and roll, circa 1954 - 1969.
0 Replies