Christians...would-be nihilists

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 11:40 am
there are a lot of Christians on the internet who are a lot more fundamentalist than they appear. many Christians have this attitude that if God does not exist, then any conversation we have is meaingless; they adpot this "all or nothing" attitude with regards to the value of human life, stating that in the absence of God, nothing really matters.

there is this guy on youtube called "togetherforpeace". He's a Christian who makes video's attempting to criticise atheism and justify his Christianity. he is a complete fundamentalist,despite the fact that he would deny this. his big objection to the "atheistic" lifestyle is that in a Godless universe, where humanity is nothing more than the result of "chemical processes", any objection an atheist makes is meaningless to a Christain perspective. he uses a type of "language game" argument, stating that "you criticise my "framework" (christianity) from your differnt framework (atheism)". he avoids all real argument with this trick and destroys and chance for argument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMaOKTOptqA&feature=channel_page

he is just a particular case. however more generally, I think Christians are more fundamental in their beliefs than they themselves realize. I am also surprised at how so many Christians present themselves with a confidence that really such a belief system does not allow; the very meaning of their lives hinges on the existence of God, and it would seem that the more certainty a Christian has about the existence of God, the more likely it is that that person will entertain nihilistic tendencies towards a Godless universe, as opposed to a Christian who openly acknowledges his/her doubt about their beliefs.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 634 • Replies: 5
No top replies

fresco

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 12:54 pm
@existential potential,
I agree that the speaker is spouting circcular claptrap. His understanding of "existence" "an individual" and"purpose" appear to be high school level. Having said that, I have always subscribed to the view that people are their "beliefs" and that "existence is relationship". A self proclaimed Christian will define "self" as relative to a " Christian God", and since "self" evokes its "universe", nihilism with respect to alternatives must follow, since alternatives constitute an attack on "self integrity".
existential potential

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 03:24 pm
@fresco,
but it seems that nihilism is the only alternative for such narrow minded people. also, what exactly do you mean when you say "existence is relationship"?
fresco

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 04:28 pm
@existential potential,
Quote:
If there is no other, there will be no I. If there is no I, there will be none to make distinctions.

Chuang-tsu, 4th Cent., B.C.

This ancient quotation sums up a nondualistic position on "existence". In short, there are no "things" without "thingers" and vice versa. Thus the existence of "self" implies the existence of "others", and of living and and non-living "entities". All "existence" is co-extensive. To "exist" is to "be in relationship with" even if that relationship is trivially observation of seperateness or to be observed as seperate. Each species "sees" the extant world according to its physiology. There is no "ultimate reality".

But what the monotheist does is to evoke an invisible entity "God" who eternally observes and creates "all" thereby allowing for the common experience of"objective existence". But that ad hoc "solution" logically involves the dualistic infinite regress of "who created God ?".
0 Replies

midnightcowboy

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 01:27 am
I think the key to understanding Christians is the louder they speak the less certain they really are. They shout because they want to drown out the voice of reason, the truth and anyone who disagrees.

They rant so no one can even understand what they mean and refuse to engage in rational discussion, answering any questions with scripture, very convincing indeed.

Like quoting from a Noddy book to prove Noddy exists really.
solipsister

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 01:42 am
@midnightcowboy,
mmm that nihilism is so palpable i can almost touch it
0 Replies