Ever wonder why Rush Limbaugh's syndicated radio show is all over the place?

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 09:07 am
Posted April 12, 2009
Limbaugh's Dirty Little Secret of Radio "Success"
by Bill Mann - Huffpost

Ever wonder why Rush "Boss" Limbaugh's syndicated radio show is all over the place like the proverbial cheap suit?

If you do much driving in rural areas -- e.g. between cities -- "Boss" Limbaugh's bloviations are often the only thing you can pick up on a car radio. Hey, that's what CD players are for.

Did Rush accrue hundreds of local radio affiliates across the country because his political views are mainstream? That's obviously not it. OK, so why IS his show so "popular?" Why do hundreds of stations around the country carry his show, the most widely syndicated talkfest in the country?

Glad you asked.

The real story is not generally well-known. The only reason I know is through my covering the business of radio for years for several major daily newspapers and also, for industry trade magazines like Radio World.

It's because -- ready for this? -- Rush's show was, and presumably still is, given away for free to many local radio stations.

This shocker is because of a little-known practice in broadcast syndication called a "barter deal." (Barter deals were briefly mentioned in Michael Wolff's first-rate recent piece on Rush in Vanity Fair).

Here's how a barter deal works: To launch the show, Limbaugh's syndicator, Premiere Radio Networks -- the same folks who syndicate wingnut du jour Glen Beck -- gave Limbaugh's three hours away -- that's right, no cash -- to local radio stations, mostly in medium and smaller markets, back in the early 1990's.

So, a local talk station got Rush's show for zilch. In exchange, Premiere took for itself much of the local station's available advertising time (roughly 15 minutes an hour) and packed the show with national ads it had already pre-sold.

Think Gold Bond Medicated Powder.

It's a very sweet deal for local radio station owners, explained Bill Exline a respected radio broker (he helped people buy and sell local stations). "Not only does the local station get three hours of free programming," Exline explained, "but that's one less local talk-show host on staff they need. It makes small- and medium-market radio properties more profitable and attractive by cutting down staff expenses."

Shocking, isn't it, that Limbaugh would allow jobs to be cut to advance his dubious career? Not to mention helping to make small radio stations far less local?

Major-market right-wing talk stations, like San Francisco's KSFO-AM ("Reichstag Radio") have to pay actual money, of course, to carry Boss Limbaugh's daily proclamation-a-thon. (Note: KSFO, which I referred to as "Sieg Heil on Your Dial" in my column when it first switched to righty talk, is the same station that gave hatemonger Michael Savage his first radio megaphone).

Radio sources say that small- and medium-market stations still get Limbaugh's show for free, or pay only a token amount of cash for it. I asked Michael Harrison, editor of radio-syndicator-friendly Talkers magazine about this, and he claimed he didn't know how many Limbaugh affiliates still barter. .

So, when you hear Rush bellowing as you're passing through Birdseed Junction, Beanblossom, or Pyrite, just remember: The radio station's getting what it paid for. Or, more accurately, DIDN'T pay for.

wandeljw

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 09:41 am
This is how Limbaugh's show became an important conduit for conservative propaganda. Thanks for the information, BBB.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 10:47 am
So, if it was not Rush Limbaugh doing this business deal, it could be another host doing the business deal. Now my question that this thread still has not answered is why, in a free-market society, a liberal talk show host has not given Rush a bit of competition with the same business deal to radio stations? I say this since I think liberals believe that the country is very liberal, and these liberals are being forced fed, so to speak, the conservative talk show format. I think that is a false assumption. The country is still quite conservative, except for some specific regions, and there is an honest to goodness following for Rush Limbaugh's format.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 10:52 am
@Foofie,
Quote:
Now my question that this thread still has not answered is why, in a free-market society, a liberal talk show host has not given Rush a bit of competition with the same business deal to radio stations?

Isn't it obvious? Liberals don't spend as much time listening to the radio for their news and entertainment. Instead, television, print, and the internet.

Cycloptichorn
Foofie

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 07:51 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:
Now my question that this thread still has not answered is why, in a free-market society, a liberal talk show host has not given Rush a bit of competition with the same business deal to radio stations?

Isn't it obvious? Liberals don't spend as much time listening to the radio for their news and entertainment. Instead, television, print, and the internet.

Cycloptichorn

One could then assume, based on the above point, that many conservatives might be listening to radio, since they are doing something else at the same time. Multi-tasking (aka, being busy).

Does this mean that many a liberal prefers visual news, since they have so much extra time on their hands to just read or watch?
djjd62

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 07:53 pm
@Foofie,
maybe it's because they can read
Foofie

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 08:36 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

maybe it's because they can read

And, you know conservatives can read too; just different subjects possibly?
djjd62

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 05:11 am
@Foofie,
really, every time i saw one of those palin rallies, and the folks attending
this song from the simpsons was running through my head

most folks'll never eat a skunk
but then again some folks'll
like cletus, the slack jawed yokel
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 11:47 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Wow, this is an interesting problem for Mitt Romney. His company, Bain Capital, is one of the two owners of Rush Limbaugh's company. BBB

A 7th advertiser pulls out of Limbaugh's show
03/05/2012
By TALI ARBEL AP Business Writer

NEW YORK—A flower company is the seventh advertiser to pull its ads from conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh's radio program in reaction to his derogatory comments about a law student who testified about birth control policy.

ProFlowers said Sunday on its Facebook page that it has suspended advertising on Limbaugh's program because his comments about Georgetown University student Sandra Fluke "went beyond political discourse to a personal attack and do not reflect our values as a company."

The six other advertisers that say they have pulled ads from his show are mortgage lender Quicken Loans, mattress retailers Sleep Train and Sleep Number, software maker Citrix Systems Inc., online data backup service provider Carbonite and online legal document services company LegalZoom.

ProFlowers had said on Twitter that posts it received about Limbaugh's remarks affected its advertising strategy. ProFlowers is an online flower delivery service.

Limbaugh called the 30-year-old Fluke a "slut" and "prostitute" last week after she testified to congressional Democrats in support of national health care policies that would compel employers and other organizations, including her university, to offer group health insurance that covers birth control for women.

He apologized to Fluke on Saturday after being criticized by Republican and Democratic politicians and after several advertisers left the show.

Clear Channel's Premiere Radio Networks Inc. hosts Limbaugh's program, one of the country's most popular talk radio shows. The company is supporting Limbaugh, whose on-air contract with Premiere runs through 2016.

"The contraception debate is one that sparks strong emotion and opinions on both sides of the issue," Premiere Networks said in a statement emailed Sunday by spokeswoman Rachel Nelson. "We respect the right of Mr. Limbaugh, as well as the rights of those who disagree with him, to express those opinions."

Clear Channel Media and Entertainment operates more than 850 radio stations in the U.S., and Premiere says it's the largest radio content provider in the country, syndicating programs to more than 5,000 affiliate stations.

When asked which companies or organizations were the largest advertisers on Limbaugh's show, Nelson said that that information was "proprietary." Nelson declined to say how much revenue the company will lose with the advertiser defections or how much revenue Limbaugh's show brings in.

Clear Channel's parent company was taken private in 2008 by private equity firms Thomas H. Lee Partners and Bain Capital.

Read more: A 7th advertiser pulls out of Limbaugh's show - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_20103751#ixzz1oGVmn1Xg
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 12:25 pm
That first article explains why a local man put Limbaugh on two his stations, in Houston.
0 Replies

Chow Mo-wan

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 12:35 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Well I never understood the fascination with hate mongerers or misogynists. I never understood why in the hell Limbaugh lives and works out of NYC (well at least it used to)

He gives humanity a really bad name. Thank you BumbleBeeBoogie for the article.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 12:44 pm
@Chow Mo-wan,
Here is more information:

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2012/03/04/140782/number-of-companies-that-have.html#storylink=omni_popular
thack45

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 01:04 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

So, if it was not Rush Limbaugh doing this business deal, it could be another host doing the business deal. Now my question that this thread still has not answered is why, in a free-market society, a liberal talk show host has not given Rush a bit of competition with the same business deal to radio stations? I say this since I think liberals believe that the country is very liberal, and these liberals are being forced fed, so to speak, the conservative talk show format. I think that is a false assumption. The country is still quite conservative, except for some specific regions, and there is an honest to goodness following for Rush Limbaugh's format.

"Liberals" took a real shot a while back. They put the likes of Al Franken and Janeane Garofalo on the air (maybe they're still on?). It didn't seem to work out. To me they came off as smarmy cheap-shotters -- just like Rush!

Apparently only conservatives enjoy listening to assholes on the radio...
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 02:06 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Update: Limbaugh Loses Eighth Advertiser Over Comments About Law Student
March 5, 2012
by Mark Memmott - NPR

Update at 12:05 p.m. ET: Since we first published this post, there's been word from AOL (via The Huffington Post) that it too is pulling its ads from conservative broadcaster Rush Limbaugh's radio show.

Update at 12:45 p.m. ET: On his show today, Limbaugh said he does not think Georgetown University law student Sandra Fluke is a "slut" or "prostitute." He also said that in using such words to describe her, "I descended to their level" — apparently referring to those on the left.

Update at 1:25 p.m. ET. From MSNBC:

"Student Called 'Slut' By Limbaugh Dismisses Apology."

Our original post:

ProFlowers on Sunday became the seventh advertiser to pull adds from conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh's nationally syndicated program in the wake of his charge last week that a Georgetown University law student is a "slut" and a "prostitute" because she believes insurers should cover the cost of women's contraception services.

Rush Limbaugh.

"Mr. Limbaugh's recent comments went beyond political discourse to a personal attack and do not reflect our values as a company. As such, ProFlowers has suspended advertising on The Rush Limbaugh radio program," the company announced on its Facebook page.

According to The Associated Press, "the six other advertisers that say they have pulled ads from [Limbaugh's] show are mortgage lender Quicken Loans, mattress retailers Sleep Train and Sleep Number, software maker Citrix Systems Inc., online data backup service provider Carbonite and online legal document services company LegalZoom."

Over the weekend, as NPR.org's Stephanie Federico reported for us, Limbaugh issued a statement Limbaugh released a statement about his comments regarding law student Sandra Fluke:

"For over 20 years, I have illustrated the absurd with absurdity, three hours a day, five days a week. In this instance, I chose the wrong words in my analogy of the situation. I did not mean a personal attack on Ms. Fluke.

"I think it is absolutely absurd that during these very serious political times, we are discussing personal sexual recreational activities before members of Congress. I personally do not agree that American citizens should pay for these social activities. What happened to personal responsibility and accountability? Where do we draw the line? If this is accepted as the norm, what will follow? Will we be debating if taxpayers should pay for new sneakers for all students that are interested in running to keep fit? In my monologue, I posited that it is not our business whatsoever to know what is going on in anyone's bedroom nor do I think it is a topic that should reach a Presidential level.

"My choice of words was not the best, and in the attempt to be humorous, I created a national stir. I sincerely apologize to Ms. Fluke for the insulting word choices."

The Washington Post's Paul Farhi this morning looks at the controversy and notes that:

"Limbaugh has escaped lasting damage over inflammatory remarks before, such as when he suggested that Michael J. Fox was exaggerating the effects of Parkinson's disease in a 2006 ad in which the actor advocated more funding for stem-cell research, or when he aired a song parody called Barack the Magic Negro that lampooned Barack Obama's candidacy in 2007.

"Similarly, Limbaugh's fans are likely to be 'energized' by his comments about Fluke and contraceptives, said Randall Bloom­quist, a talk-radio consultant who is a former program director of WMAL [radio in Washington, D.C.]. ...

"But the loss of advertisers should be a worrisome sign to Limbaugh, said Holland Cooke, also a talk-radio consultant. 'I think this story is closer to the beginning than the end,' he said Sunday. 'This is in the hands of an angry public now. I can't imagine that he won't be diminished in some way.' "

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Ever wonder why Rush Limbaugh's syndicated radio show is all over the place?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 07:47:46