Supreme Court to decide whether it is possible to discriminate against white people

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 01:06 pm
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-firefighters6-2009apr06,0,711948.story

Quote:
Frank Ricci -- a firefighter in New Haven, Conn. -- spent months listening to study tapes as he drove to work and in the evenings, preparing for a promotional test. It was a once-a-decade chance to move up to a command rank in the fire department.

Ricci earned a top score but no promotion.

The city had coded the test takers by race, and of the top 15 scorers, 14 were white and one was Latino. Since there were only 15 vacancies, it looked as though no blacks would be promoted.

After a racially charged debate that stretched over four hearings, the city's civil service board rejected the test scores five years ago and promoted no one.

"To have the city throw it out because you're white or because you're not African American is insulting," Ricci said when he and 19 other firefighters sued the city for racial discrimination.

As I read this story, it seems to me that the city decided that since no blacks were getting promoted, nobody would get promoted.

That sure seems to be racial discrimination to me.
I hope the USSC sides with the firefighters.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,216 • Replies: 1
No top replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 02:14 pm
Yet another case where the predetermined outcome is allowed to turn the evaluation into a sham exercise. As bad as this case is, much worse is that generally in modern society undividuals (individuals who are unable to think outside of the herd mentality) are unable to look out onto the universe unable to see anything but their indoctrinated biases. Blacks need to be promoted in the predetermined outcome, so any evaluation of individuals that does not net this result is invalid. If a person is free market right winger the predetermined outcome is that markets are the best way to organize an economy, any evidence to the contrary (such as misallocation of societal resources and repeated price bubbles) must be explained away. Same problem applied in two different ways, one on the job and one in the application of reason.

The capacity to evaluate reality and deal with reality and has mostly evaded modern man's ability. You had to know we were deep in the **** when "political correctness" first became the rage during the 1980's.
0 Replies