Christopher Hitchens is a pompous ass

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 03:49 pm
I was just watching the telly and Christopher Hitchens was debating was debating some religious wing-nut. While on the issue of religiousity I strongly agree with Hitchens but I find his arrogance to be trite bordering on infantile. Somewhat like seeing georgeob debating okie or reason debating wacko, georgeob will always win but that doesn't make georgeob right, it merely demonstrates okie's ignorance. (Georgeob is a pompous ass almost as often as meself)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,319 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Mame

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 03:55 pm
I strongly oppose you calling georbeob1 a pompous ass and insist you refrain from doing so again, you pompous poopity-head. I don't want to have to read such mean and patently false statements about the finest man I've met and if I find you taking his name in vain again, I'll have to come over there and hit you on the head with that Zuni thing you are so proud of. Now I mean it. Watch it, buster!
ehBeth

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 03:57 pm
@dyslexia,
Usually Hitchens is an interesting read. An annoying interviewee/debater to hear/see.

I'm particularly fond of his take on Mother Teresa.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 04:00 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Usually Hitchens is an interesting read. An annoying interviewee/debater to hear/see.

I'm particularly fond of his take on Mother Teresa.
agreed, I just hate to see adults berating the handicapped, (Mother Terese, yikes, an entire topic herself)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 04:02 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

I strongly oppose you calling georbeob1 a pompous ass and insist you refrain from doing so again, you pompous poopity-head. I don't want to have to read such mean and patently false statements about the finest man I've met and if I find you taking his name in vain again, I'll have to come over there and hit you on the head with that Zuni thing you are so proud of. Now I mean it. Watch it, buster!
kiss my go-to-hell. I never like you or georgeob.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 04:18 pm
@ehBeth,
He's interesting.
Anyway, I'll have to read him on Mother Teresa. I may have read him on her, since I have some excoriating views of her myself.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 04:29 pm
@ossobuco,
The missionary position
By Christopher Hitchens
on Google Books
ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 04:45 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks, Beth.
farmerman

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 05:04 pm
@ossobuco,
Just as Norman Mailer often spoke out of his ass, so it is with Hitchens. He can be a flaming embarrassment to a worldview, just like Richard Dawkins can be someone that many biological scientists would love to shoot in the head to shut him up.
However, he does compoe a thought on line so well and his first draft attempts are better than most other authors final copy.

Hitchens does a W F Buckley stare and drops his tone an octave when he makes a point. This is something he picked up in acting school, Im certain.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 05:39 pm
@dyslexia,
Quote:
Somewhat like seeing georgeob debating okie or reason debating wacko, georgeob will always win but that doesn't make georgeob right, it merely demonstrates okie's ignorance. (Georgeob is a pompous ass almost as often as meself)

The end result of all this pompousity was regularly demonstrated on the Star Trek TV show when matter and anti-matter were mixed.

It's a powerful force to be reckoned with and keeps the fabric of the universe in balance.

Laughing Wink
0 Replies