Is scaning with a computer game anti-cheat software ok to do?

kckirk

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2009 02:44 pm
Is it ok to have people agree use an 'anti-cheat software' for computer games legal? Gaming is more popular on the internet these days and website/ online leagues. Some people are buying 'hacks & cheats' to get around the already incorperated anti-cheat software for example PunkBuster (even balence). So these leagues are making software for you to download and run before each match to check and monitor your computer for cheats while running the software. They have terms of use basically saying don't play if you don't agree to use it. But is there a limit on what they can scan for and where? Some people have said you can not scan hard drives, but you can monitor the computer process and stuff. Any knowledgeable input would be helpful.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,015 • Replies: 13
No top replies

parados

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2009 03:10 pm
@kckirk,
Quote:
Is it ok to have people agree use an 'anti-cheat software' for computer games legal?

Sure. That sounds OK. You have to agree if you want to play so there is no coercion. Don't want to do it, then don't play. Pretty simple.

Quote:
But is there a limit on what they can scan for and where?
That is a little harder to answer. They are making the software so they can make it do whatever they want. They have an interest in wanting people to play so they have some incentive to not scan for things they shouldn't need to. If someone finds out their scanner is doing things it shouldn't then people won't play. Of course, if you play and the scanner invades your computer and steals information, it will be too late for you. The flip side is if people know what the scanner is looking for they can hide it from the scanner and still be able to cheat.

So, that only raises more questions for you than it answers.
1. Do you trust the people that are scanning your computer?
2. Even if you trust them, is there a way to double check what they are sending.
3. Are you willing to risk the invasion to play the game?

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2009 09:51 pm
@kckirk,
Well there is no way I would run such software to play a game anymore then I would allow someone to search my home in order to play a game.

My computer is full of personal information and I had place layers of security on it to keep such software off my computer.

And no you have no way of knowing what such software is doing even if you monitor your traffic with wireshark they could enchiper the traffic.
Mame

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2009 10:04 pm
Uh, what's 'scaning'?
kckirk

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2009 10:12 pm
@Mame,
Searching for files that would be considered suspicious files or cheats, or watching your system process for anything that pops up that shouldn't be.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 04:40 am
@Mame,
on my planet we call it "scanning"

live long and prosper
DrewDad

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 07:49 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
on my planet we call it "scanning"

Good lord. Rolling Eyes
DrewDad

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 07:50 am
@BillRM,
Honestly, how do you know what any software does, unless you write it yourself?
parados

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 08:16 am
@kckirk,
Just a warning. If you run software without knowing what it is, it can do just about anything from delete all your files to send them all to somewhere in China to email spam to 1 million emails without you knowing it.

One way to protect yourself and your data is run the game on a computer or start up that is strictly set up for only the game. No other files, no personal information, no email capability, no access to other drives or computers on your network. Back up the registry and the hard drive prior to running the game with the anti cheat software. After running the game, restore the computer to the state it was prior to the game. This is the best way to make sure nothing can be stolen from you and that your computer can't be infected as a spambot etc. if you are determined to play the game.
BillRM

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 01:35 pm
@DrewDad,
Open sour ce softwares is fairly safe however you do have a point but to place a program you know if going to be searching your dirves and reporting back is not good.

I monitor what programs are talking to the net and unless I am very sure about that package I do not allow it.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 01:37 pm
@parados,
Sandboxie or a full VPN or a dual boot system might be a solution if you just have to play those games.
djjd62

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 01:39 pm
@DrewDad,
jesus, did you lose your sense of humour, i was trying to answer mames question in classical geek
Mame

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 02:09 pm
@djjd62,
I don't speak classical geek but I do speak Vulcan.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 06:01 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Sandboxie or a full VPN or a dual boot system might be a solution if you just have to play those games.

As long as you know how to set it up to isolate your other drives from your VPN or dual boot.
0 Replies