religious T or F Question

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 09:55 am
An ordained minister will not be recognized by the law unless he has first recieved a formal seminary education? T or F
Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 747 • Replies: 4
No top replies

saab

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 11:46 am
@SheilaLee,
You cannot be ordained as minister/priest until you have recieved a formal seminary education.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 11:50 am
@SheilaLee,
False. Many ministers are ordained who have not been to seminary. The only requirement for ordination is such status conferred by a church congregation or denomination and each establishes their own criteria for qualifications. Saab is correct that some denominations will not recognize ordination by a minister without a seminary education--some require that it is a seminary education provided by their own denomination--but that is not true in all cases. A minister must be licensed in order to be recognized under the law, but ordination is not required for such license.

Also there is an additional component of standing. A minister may be ordained and licensed, but not have standing with a certain congregation or denomination because of misconduct, inactivity, or any number of factors that can be involved. A minister without standing will not be recommended to a congregation or receive certain other benefits.
ebrown p

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 12:02 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre is correct (and I don't say that very often). But in this case, I have similar personal knowledge. Many religious groups have no seminary.

Each religious body chooses it's own ministers which are then recognized by the law. There is really no other way to handle this that would not violate the separation of church and state.
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2009 10:16 am
False! I live in the bible belt of the south and know a couple used car dealers who are 'ministers' on Sunday, Wednesday & other pre-determined religious days............ which just goes to show you that religion is the most vile hoax ever pulled on humankind.

Twisted Sermons
A song of social commentary regarding Prosperity Christianity.

I believe that Prosperity Christianity is a perversion of everything that religion is supposed to stand for.

Prosperity Christianity is a disgusting doctrine designed to make it's pitch-men/women rich.

Lending the stamp of righteousness to greed and avarice.

To quote John Kenneth Galbraith:

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdOHrl7zCBA
0 Replies