Do you remember anything from your degree?

Thomas

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 11:42 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
I have forgotten an embarrassing amount of facts about physics. By the way, this is one of the main reasons I so rarely post to the science threads. I'll will inevitably say, with fatherly authority and confident pulling rank, something completely bogus that will embarrass me for the rest of my life.

But I digress. Back to your question: The most enduring knowledge is the kind of thing ehBeth talked about. Knowledge about what sound reasoning looks like. A sixth sense for hidden bullshit, for gaps in arguments that would otherwise look impressive. Knowledge about how to get facts and how to interpret them in meaningful ways. I'm pretty confident that's the most important thing you'll learn in college too.

0 Replies

depressed

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2013 02:50 am
What do you do when you feel like you don't remember anything?
0 Replies

EveScherer

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2013 02:34 am
I know that many people forget the stuff they learned at university, and especially at high school, but I've studied Computer Science and many of the subjects are still relevant and practical today.

I think it really depends on what Major you've studied. And I still think that many of majors are pointless and obsolete, things like programming, web design, film making and even business administration. You'll learn much more if you study a subject by yourself and pay close attention to that specific field.

If getting a degree is your only intention, you'll never learn anything.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 Jan, 2013 05:54 pm
@EveScherer,
Oh, wow.
0 Replies