Heavy walkers

Linkat

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 01:13 pm
Do you know any heavy walkers? You know those people that are walking “normally” but the entire fall shakes and it sounds as if a Mac truck is driving by. You are startled from intense work and thoughts about important stuff like “why does she work in the dark?” and look up expecting to see some 500 pound guy and it is some 90 pound weakling.

I then stare at the offender " yet every time they walk by me, they continue their heavy walk crusade. What is one to do?

I also have a heavy walker above me where I live. Fortunately though their kitchen is above our bedroom/bathroom " so typically they are not using their kitchen around the time I am having my beauty rest. What causes one to be a heavy walker?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 11,517 • Replies: 22
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 01:27 pm
Big feet, or not enough sports as a kid. They never learned to flex their knees.
Mame

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 01:31 pm
@Linkat,
Sometimes it's from walking on their heels instead of their toes.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 01:35 pm
@DrewDad,
I have big feet and I am a light walker - light as air.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 01:38 pm
I'm a heavy walker.

Doesn't have anything to do with my weight, as I'm sure I walked just as heavily when I weighed 110 pounds.

Doesn't have anything to do with participating in sports (or not)....my knees flex just fine (especially after all the rolfing I've been through).

I can't speak for other heavy walkers, but believe me linkat, I'm not doing it to annoy anyone, or because I'm careless and unthinking.

In fact, when I try to walk lightly for an extended distance, like the length of the house, I can feel my body going out of alignment.

Just the way I'm built I guess, and no sense apologizing for it.

In fact, my husband and I had a serious discussion about this once. He started mentioning how heavy my walk was, how he could feel it as I walked by, etc.

When he was in the house, I would try to walk differently, ended up walking on the balls and toes, kinda like tip toeing, to keep quiet.

That's when it hit me. I was literally "walking on eggshells" "tip toeing around someone"....I realized that was wrong.

Next time he said something, I didn't argue, but explained how bad it made me feel that something about me that was natural didn't seem to be good enough. I said I wasn't going to act unnatural anymore, and was going to walk the way my body was built.
alex240101

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 01:51 pm
Flat feet will make a person walk heavy at times. I knew a lady, who, when getting out of the water, would leave solid wet rectangular footprints.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 01:51 pm
@chai2,
So it is you - you are the one annoying me.

Just go ahead and walk by me again - I will continue giving you scathing looks!
chai2

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 01:55 pm
@Linkat,
ok, but they will be to no avail.

In fact, I'll wonder what bug crawled up your ass to let something like that mess with their serenity. Razz

I'm not flat footed either.

I am just moving through the world, not unlike a rhinoserus.
Mame

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 02:05 pm
@chai2,
Go placidly and solidly through the noise and haste...
chai2

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 02:06 pm
@Mame,
the noble rhinoserus.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 03:10 pm
@chai2,
OK then you better watch where you are walking. You go ahead and stomp -you don't know what you will stomp into!
chai2

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 04:59 pm
@Linkat,
I don't stomp.

I just let the earth bear my full weight.
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 05:12 pm
I have flat feet and am heavier than I want to be but I am not a heavy walker. Maybe years and years in marching bands in which weight is concentrated on the balls of the feet had something to do with it but probably not as I don't march everywhere I go. My granddaughter with very good arches and who is skinny as a rail is a heavy walker.

I tend to go with the natural phenomenon theory and think it is just the way some people naturally are.

At least your heavy walking neighbor isn't dropping weights on the floor above you late at night, Linkat, as one of ours once did.

0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 05:13 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
I just let the earth bear my full weight.

As you should....

I have never been light as a feather - but I am not a heavy walker either....
I remember trying out for cheerleading - my Mom said I landed like I weighed 300 lbs! HA! It's true - there was this chubby girl who tried out and she landed like a feather. I tried it - but it just didn't click at how not to land heavy - I am not a big girl - never have been really. Just land like one.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 05:24 pm
My cat lulu wasn't a heavy walker, but she sure was a heavy lander

She'd jump down from something and do this little "oof" when she hit the floor. I can still hear it. It was the cutest thing.....oof.

She landed kinda like a jellyfish would.

splat.
mismi

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 05:25 pm
@chai2,
Yes - I know that sound.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 05:26 pm
@chai2,
chai2 walks across the floor exactly like a bowling ball rolls across a lake.
hamburger

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 05:52 pm
i suggest that the heavy walker be supplied with a pair of "hob nail" boots - it'll add some rhythm .

http://www.drillpad.net/Photos/german%20hobnail%20boot.jpg
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 06:11 pm
Well the deputy walks on hard nails an' the preacher rides a mount
But nothin' really matters much, it's doom alone that counts
An' the one-eyed undertaker, he blows a futile horn
"Come in'', she said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm''.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 07:41 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

chai2 walks across the floor exactly like a bowling ball rolls across a lake.

now THAT made me snort.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Heavy walkers
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 06:39:45