Madonna Sucks Pithe From Soul Of World's Children

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 10:17 am
Madonna Sucks Pithe From Soul Of World's Children
Mark Morford 9/29/03

Madonna has another No. 1 hit, this time on the book charts. The singer's annoying children's story about a spoiled rich girl no one likes, "The English Roses," was published simultaneously in 100 countries around the world Sept. 15 with an initial print run of 1 million copies, will top The New York Times' children's list for the Oct. 5 edition.

"It demonstrates once again that Madonna has an extraordinary gift for communicating with children of all ages," Nicholas Callaway, CEO of Callaway Arts & Entertainment, the book's U.S. publisher, said in a statement Thursday."

Right. That's what it proves. And not the fact that if you absolutely and insidiously drown the goddamn markets of 100 countries with a million goddamn copies of this insidious little lame-ass book along with a massive equally insidious PR campaign to ride it like a ten-dollar whore rides a Texas senator, you can somehow convince a benumbed public to shell out $19.95 for the mediocre thing, just to clear some goddamn space, just to get the thing out the the way of the sluggish progress of the collective unconscious," he did not add, the little twit.

"What the hell am I saying? It doesn't prove a goddamn thing. This book will be in the remainder bin in two months. Jesus god damn but I need a drink. And will someone please slap Hilary Duff? Is that too off topic? Bloody hell but she's obnoxious."

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2003/09/25/entertainment1605EDT0722.DTL&nl=fix
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 923 • Replies: 5
No top replies

fealola

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 10:26 am
I know. I know. I hope libraries don't buy it. (What am I saying!) Who knows how that works-- libraries deciding what books to buy? I would imaging they will choose to have it, and that will pay for the publishing. Would some one explain how that all works? Thanks.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 10:37 am
see what they say on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0670036781/ref=cm_cr_dp_2_1/103-1079774-0873455?v=glance&s=books&vi=customer-reviews
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 03:11 pm
Madonna sucks pithe
Fealola - I don't know if your question re library book selection criteria was rhetorical, but in case it wasn't, here's a very brief survey of the method: Librarians read reviews in major newspapers, in periodicals, and professional library journals. They know what gaps their collection has, and, above all, they know their public - after a while a good librarian gets a feel for what the community wants. A good librarian knows what's going on in the community (and the world, of course) and tries to provide appropriate background material.

Finally, a good librarian is responsive to patrons' requests and suggested purchases.

In short, purchases are not made in a vacuum.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 04:43 pm
Yep, you're right on. Librarians do read reviews from at leasst two pofessional reviewing library magazines and gage their own reactions to the reviews. Madonna would have to get A= r4eviews or At least ten patrons would have to request the book for me to consider buying it for the library in Orange County I retired from two years ago.
I agree it's bound to end up in the remainder bin. However, the question is: do librray puchases of a controversial (even bad taste) books give patrons a chance to view them so they won't buy them or do library purchases of these books only encourage patrons to buy them. Maybe the question is moot anyway with book budgets crumbling before computer system purchases and "prepurchased" books that the library systems now purchase in blocks (usually classics, award winners, and best sellers) to save what small amount of money there is for actual books and to give 1/3 to 1/2 of the branches in each system to own the books. These decisions are usually made by a head acquisitions librarian and not the indidual librarians at the branches.
Anyway, let's hope that Madonna's book does not become a best sellert. Some actors or musicians have actually written fine children's books. I think Jaimie Lee Curtis' books are great. Natalie
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 05:01 pm
Thanks. That wasn't a rhetorical question. And I can see how libraries could go either way with Madonna's book. Come to think of it, I remember reading that libraries carried Madonna's controversial coffe table book. So I'm sure this kids book will be included. People will probably demand it -- for curiosity's sake.
0 Replies